Suzuki GS500 rear wheel install on a XR600. (Street conversion)

As more than one person has already asked me about my rear wheel by PM, i'll post a write up, just in case somebody else is interested.

That's my bike. It's an old pic by the way. Now it has a few more mods done.

IMGP0060Small.jpg

Whell, about the rear wheel, it's a Suzuki GS500 wheel. It's pretty compatible with the XR but it needs some machine work to make it perfectly fit. The chain sprocket is compatible with the XR type of chain so no mods needed there. THe brake rotor must be cut as its larger in diameter and also be machined as it's thicker than the XR one. The lenght between the chain sprocket<->center of the wheel and brake rotor<->center of the wheel must be reduced to be compatible with the stock XR one.

Here go some pics. Hope you'll understand it. I had to ask the machine shop to make all the modifications you'll see on the pics.

imgp0253large1uk.jpg

imgp0250large3xr.jpg

imgp0254large9ps.jpg

gs500spacers1tg.jpg

About the rear tire, yes i did a mistake buying it. My next tire will be a real street one.

If you need more info feel free to ask.

My first attempt was to use a CBR600 wheel, but it was even worse.

The most compatible wheel i could find is that GS500 one.

If you don't want to have to machine anything, the only way you can go is to buy a XR hub and a 17" rim kit.

Of course there's other ways to adapt the wheel to the XR but i wanted to leave the XR untouched, so i'm able to swap wheels in 5 minutes.

You can modify the rear brake caliper bracket or something so you don't have to machine the GS500 or CBR wheels but i didn't want o go that way.

• 9 years later...

can i receive some more information please.I am currently doing a project putting gs500 wheels on my xt600 and i do not have a clue on what to do.It is my first try doing something not in the book.I will be forever thankful if you could help me. 

This post is like ten years old Zhan.

Basically dont change the Xr axle. Find bearings that are the OD of its housing in the wheel. And ID that of the axles OD. Then make wheel spacers. I just cut metal tubing. Then is your sprocket lined up? Take off hub metal to sink it lower or add washers to push it out. If the chains diagonal, even slightly, it will cause uneven sprocket wear. So center it as best as you can. The rotor...I personally think its best to alter a caliper mount if theres fitment issues. We go UP on rotor sizes not down!

Its not hard. You could do it with hand tools but a table saw and lathe, youre golden

Same with front rotor. Make a caliper mount.

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

I was hoping to get some pictures from OP.To be honest the only thing that bothers me is fitting the rear wheel and figuring out spacers etc.And what is OD and ID?Sorrybout the stupid questions, but English is not my original language.

I was hoping to get some pictures from OP.To be honest the only thing that bothers me is fitting the rear wheel and figuring out spacers etc.And what is OD and ID?Sorrybout the stupid questions, but English is not my original language.

ID= Inside Diameter

OD= Outside Diameter

This post is like ten years old Zhan.

Basically dont change the Xr axle. Find bearings that are the OD of its housing in the wheel. And ID that of the axles OD. Then make wheel spacers. I just cut metal tubing. Then is your sprocket lined up? Take off hub metal to sink it lower or add washers to push it out. If the chains diagonal, even slightly, it will cause uneven sprocket wear. So center it as best as you can. The rotor...I personally think its best to alter a caliper mount if theres fitment issues. We go UP on rotor sizes not down!

Its not hard. You could do it with hand tools but a table saw and lathe, youre golden

Same with front rotor. Make a caliper mount.

Please can you give me some more information since i am not to sure i understand you.

Take the wheel, and the axle to a shop that has bearings. Find one where the Outer Diameter fits into the gs wheel.

Then the Inner Diameter has to allow the axle to go through.

Take wheel and axle to shop.

Then mount it. Find the wheels center. Then you will see how/where you should mount the rotor and the sprocket.

When you get bearings. Mount the wheel and axle. Post pictures and get back to me. Ill explain the measuring

• Like 1

Take the wheel, and the axle to a shop that has bearings. Find one where the Outer Diameter fits into the gs wheel.

Then the Inner Diameter has to allow the axle to go through.

Take wheel and axle to shop.

Then mount it. Find the wheels center. Then you will see how/where you should mount the rotor and the sprocket.

When you get bearings. Mount the wheel and axle. Post pictures and get back to me. Ill explain the measuring

thak you so much.i have only one more week of working abroad and then i will get to it as soon as i go back home.In the mean time can you give an email or you prefer to write here.

Appreciated it.

Oom yeah , but i just can not wait.There only 2 days left.Anyways , is there a chance you know what kind of front brake disc would i need for that gs500 front wheel?I read somewhere that i should get an r1 brake disc but which model and what year?

Does it not have a rotor on it? I would just fab a caliper mount. Easier. But you could reseach diameters but then theres comparing mounting holes. I dont even know what a GS is...!

If it has a rotor and its big or whatever. Just mand make a new caliper bracket. Kind of like when you go from 240-270mm diameter rotors you get a bracket.

Ive done stuff with r1 rotors that are 298mm and some that are 320mm, so i dont know what to tell you. Different years have different sizes.

Stick with stock

• 2 weeks later...