yamaha yz450 06 and up wide ratio trans

I just recently swapped the WR 1st, 2nd and 5th gears to my 08 yz450 and found it to be perfect for the type of tight woods riding

I do in Oregon. Even the 4th to 5th gap seems just right to me. I always felt like 5th wasn't tall enough. Thanks for all the great

information on this topic.

Hey guys I am going to do this swap on my 2007 yzf 450 has anyone got a total cost for the 1st through to 5th gears, it would probably be cheaper to buy the parts in the States and ship them over here as Yamaha UK are a rip off normally! I will let my mechanic do the job as to busy at work!

It seems to me the last time I looked it up, the 9 gears and the main shaft were something like $400 US.  Look it up for yourself here for current prices stateside: https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php

It seems to me the last time I looked it up, the 9 gears and the main shaft were something like $400 US.  Look it up for yourself here for current prices stateside: https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php

All new gears through rocky mountain atv mc is like $750 US.

Is the 1st gear swap really worth it? Normally I try to get to 2nd as quick as possible since in 1st it just feels like it's all over.

Not to me.  I left the first three gears in place and used the WR 4th and 5th.  But it depends on what sort of low gear, low speed capability you're looking for.  Unless the bike is street driven AND off-roaded, I don't see a reason to go with the full wide ratio.  I found I wanted to drop from a 13/48 to a 13/50 in order to make 5th more usable.  That and the Rekluse made 1st gear low enough for everything I do, and I can still run the lake beds and stuff at over 70-75 with no problem.

I only used 1st and 5th... Perfect IMO def use first

Not to me.  I left the first three gears in place and used the WR 4th and 5th.  But it depends on what sort of low gear, low speed capability you're looking for.  Unless the bike is street driven AND off-roaded, I don't see a reason to go with the full wide ratio.  I found I wanted to drop from a 13/48 to a 13/50 in order to make 5th more usable.  That and the Rekluse made 1st gear low enough for everything I do, and I can still run the lake beds and stuff at over 70-75 with no problem.

Ok and that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure if I was missing something. I was looking at the 4th gear change too but they didn't look much different between the yz and wr. We don't have too many open long stretchs around here so 5th gear isn't used too often except mainly on the streets. I went to a 15/48 for the street and she's screaming at 70+ mph.

A YZ450 with a 13/48 turns 7000 RPM at 60 MPH

A WR450 with 13/48 turns about 6150 RPM at 60 MPH

With the YZ 1st 3 gears, and the WR 4th, the first four ratios are identical to the ones used in the '04 4 speed, then you add the 5th on top.  Makes a better spaced gap of it as a set, IMO.  Here's a graphic comparison of the two gearsets.  Look at it as if you were comparing two 5 speed bicycle freewheels.

Ratios.png

Not to me. I left the first three gears in place and used the WR 4th and 5th. But it depends on what sort of low gear, low speed capability you're looking for. Unless the bike is street driven AND off-roaded, I don't see a reason to go with the full wide ratio. I found I wanted to drop from a 13/48 to a 13/50 in order to make 5th more usable. That and the Rekluse made 1st gear low enough for everything I do, and I can still run the lake beds and stuff at over 70-75 with no problem.

I want to replace my 2009 YZ 450 desert race bike 5TH only with WR 5th. It looks to me from what folks have done that this would only require two parts, the WR 5th Pinion gear (25T) & the WR 5th Wheel gear (21T). Is this correct?

Edited by offshore1v

That's correct, but do 4th and 5th, you won't like 5th only.  That would create a huge gap in gear ratio to get over.  Using the WR top two, 4th gear makes the first 4 gears an almost exact duplicate of the '03 4 speed, and then 5th goes on top of that. 

A couple of guys on the board have been running this setup, and a couple have said that they think it's ideal for a desert bike.  I don't know about that, but it's working pretty good for me so far.

Gray! Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am extremely interested in doing a gearing swap on my 2012 YZ450. Love the bike but hate the tall 1st and short 5th. Everything else about the bike is great.

Is is possible to do the swap on a 2012 YZ?

The bike has about 10 hours on it so I am hesitant to tear it down but the opportunity cost is there for my style of riding.

How extensive is the teardown? Is it a complete trans and motor teardown?

TIA!

Gray! Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am extremely interested in doing a gearing swap on my 2012 YZ450. Love the bike but hate the tall 1st and short 5th. Everything else about the bike is great.

The bike has about 10 hours on it so I am hesitant to tear it down but the opportunity cost is there for my style of riding.

How extensive is the teardown? Is it a complete trans and motor teardown?

TIA!

It is possible. I have done full WR gear swaps on 2 2012's a couple or few years ago. Unlike the 06-09 you will need to use the coarse spline drive axle from the WR since the YZ changed to finer splines in 2010. I bought all the shafts and gears for a 2012 WR450f and had no issues. You also will need the splined washer for the WR drive axle. All other washers, circlips, and snap rings can be reused from the stock YZ transmission.

You will have to split the cases to access the transmission.

I can provide a photo of the parts list if needed.

At this point in time now that 450FX is available I would seriously consider going to that bike vs doing the transmission swap. My 2 cents. I've had both and now realize the 12 left a lot to desire.

Thanks for the reply man! Very useful info. Yeah I will be upgrading to the fx in the next couple years but for now I'm sticking with my bike. If you could provide that photo list I would really appreciate it!

Here (from Common Threads) is what we know so far about the swap for the Gen3 bikes like yours:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/954114-wr-4th-5th-on-a-10-yz450f/

Whether you do a hybrid (WR 4-5 only) or the full set, you'll need the output shaft to solve a spline mismatch.  If you do the full gearbox, you'll need the input shaft, as the low gear pinion is direct cut onto the shaft. 

Thanks for the reply man! Very useful info. Yeah I will be upgrading to the fx in the next couple years but for now I'm sticking with my bike. If you could provide that photo list I would really appreciate it!

Here's the bare minumum list of parts for the full 1st through 5th swap on the 10-13 YZ450f. You shouldn't need anything else unless something goes wrong.

Don't mind the yellow highlights, those parts were just backordered.

1458608256828.jpg

Edited by the go-devil

Thanks so much for the replies guys! I'll keep you guys updated on the build.

1458654906417.jpg

Hello, 

How about this combination? 1,2,3 wr  and on top 4,5 yz.  You have lower gears for the tight stuff and the top gears are closer together for  picking  up after shifting.

We do a lot of soft sand beach riding here and at higher speeds wr4 to 5 was quit difficult at times(head wind)Bike does 160kmh.wr450 2010.

Total spread is  wider then 1,2,3 yz with 4,5 wr.

I don't mind the big gaps between lower gears as the bike is always capable of picking up in lower gears.

Hello, 

How about this combination? 1,2,3 wr  and on top 4,5 yz.  You have lower gears for the tight stuff and the top gears are closer together for  picking  up after shifting.

We do a lot of soft sand beach riding here and at higher speeds wr4 to 5 was quit difficult at times(head wind)Bike does 160kmh.wr450 2010.

Total spread is  wider then 1,2,3 yz with 4,5 wr.

I don't mind the big gaps between lower gears as the bike is always capable of picking up in lower gears.

That could work for you.  It's more expensive than building a hybrid set the other way (YZ 1-3, WR 4-5) because you need the input shaft, but on the other hand, if the bike is a '10 or later, it would not need the output shaft (necessary for using WR 4 & 5 in '10 and later models).   If I was running an SM or a road racer, I would likely have gone that way to keep the top gears close. 

That could work for you.  It's more expensive than building a hybrid set the other way (YZ 1-3, WR 4-5) because you need the input shaft, but on the other hand, if the bike is a '10 or later, it would not need the output shaft (necessary for using WR 4 & 5 in '10 and later models).   If I was running an SM or a road racer, I would likely have gone that way to keep the top gears close. 

It was cheap for me because i started with a wr450 2010,  and added 4 and 5 from yz2006-2009. Sorry for not being clear about that.