New xr650r owner

After a few months of research I finally decided to go with the xr over the crf. I am still getting harrased by my friends but know the xr was the right bike for me. I have not had the chance to ride the bike much, it is 10 degrees outside and I need to go over the bike. There must be a jetting issue cause it just don't run crisp. Hesitates pretty bad. Oh, I bought this bike from my local dealer with low hours on it, 2001 model, for $2600. This week I will make sure it has been uncorked properly and will go over the jetting.

Congrats, gchidest, excellent decision.

It is a good plan to go through the bike front to back, while the weather is nasty. Check headtube and swingarm bearings. Flushing brake fluid and coolant is also probably due. Check torque on your footpegs and the kickstart lever.

Setting valves if you haven't already, should be at the top of the list. While it's rare, some guys set the clearance too tight and you can score your cam as a result.

This bike is widely agreed to be bullet-proof. Doing thorough maintenance at change-of-ownership is always good practice, just to be sure.

Once some decent weather comes you'll ready. Odds are real good you are going to fall in love with you new ride. Awesome bike.

My suggestions are not intended to scare you, just my two cents.

Chesterton Indiana right on lake michigan. Went down to Indy sunday to pick the bike up. Just decided after getting the CRF450R it was not the bike for me. The XR650R is more bike than I wanted but could not find a XR400. Kinda weird though that the XR650 only weighs 15 lbs or so more than the XR400 does when both bikes are dry. Just wanted a bike I did not have to spend every dollar on and all my time maintaining like the CRF450R needed to keep fresh. It was one beautiful bike but traded it to someone who wanted more Motocross than trail bike. Havn't really rode the XR650 much but up and down some dry pavement and such. But from all the reading it is a bike that holds it value more and requires much less maintenance and has a user friendly powerband than the CRF450. Trust me, I know it IS a 650 and will rock your world as far as power goes but riding both bikes the 650 is much more friendly than the CRF is.

Hey guys. Yes I'm in the Fort too. NE side by Georgetown Square if you know it. WHere did you get the bike? What kind of riding do you do? I've not been offroad in 25 years! (grew up riding dirt). Bought an old xr350 to restore and ease back into, but then saw a dual sported 650r and fell in love. I grew up on small displacement bikes, even on the street, midsize and twins and sporty is what I like. The 650 is really way more bike than I need. I have no desire to go faster than anybody else and I'm self employed so I can't wrack myself up. (47 y/o too). I SHOULD have gotten a 400 and if I could find one in comparable condition to mine I'd swap in a minute (with a little cash). But it's too clean and too awesome to dump. I bought my son a bike and thought we'd go camping/riding on my weekends some, but he got scared of it and never rode. Now I'm thinking maybe some DS rides next year.

Was trying to sell the 350 without any interest so I'm thinking of having it rebuilt and getting it fixed up. I REALLY like the power of it. And the thin/light feeling, though the suspension sucks in comparison. IF I get it really fixed up right, I might DS it and sell the 650 to someone that can use it's cajones.

Mindblower,

DOn't get rid of the 650! I got the feeling I am going to love mine. The Excellent thing abotu the tremendous power is it is controllable. It does what you want it to do. I have a 51 tooth new sproket on the back of mine in place of the 48 stock. I can idle it and go walking speed with it which I know will definatly come in handy in the tight spots where my crf450 was geared way to high for that type of riding and gearing it down would make it like a light switch as far as the power goes.

My neighbor just bought a 2003 xr400 for 2700. right after I did my deal. the owner bought in feb 03 and he hurt his back in april of 03 and the bike has been in storage ever since. friggin new bike for 2700 with under 300 miles on it.

Hi 1/3007

Just set up an XR 650 for my son to ride at our place in Baja, he bought it from $$$ he saved from 3 tours in the middle east with USMC Special ops.

I can`t say enough good things about this bike! Sweet-----------!

Couple things.

When uncorking:

be sure to change the intake manifold to the less restrictive one and make sure you change the needle seat and the needle to B53E richer one, in 3rd position from the top.

We found the 68 s pilot jet best, with 172 main.

we also run XRs silencer & took out baffles in air box, run twin air filter with XRs back fire screen.

go to www.xr650r.us the pig pen for details

enjoy this bike is sweet!

easyed

easy

I bought the bike from Elherding. Have a good friend there who gave me a decent deal ($2600 with low hours). I just ordered the trick dual sport kit and am going to order a ricky stator to go with it. I live in Ossian and work in fort wayne and plan on riding the bike in rotation with my street bikes to work and for fun. I think I will keep the mx tires on the bike because I plan on going off road with it as much as or more than the street. Hopefully we can meet up sometime for an off road or back road excursion.

I bought the bike from Elherding. Have a good friend there who gave me a decent deal ($2600 with low hours). I just ordered the trick dual sport kit and am going to order a ricky stator to go with it. I live in Ossian and work in fort wayne and plan on riding the bike in rotation with my street bikes to work and for fun. I think I will keep the mx tires on the bike because I plan on going off road with it as much as or more than the street. Hopefully we can meet up sometime for an off road or back road excursion.

Sweet. Are there any places to ride down there? There is a guy from around Indy that is mapping out all kinds of 'adventure' routes all over the state. Some back roads, trail, gravel, etc. As little paved road as possible. He is mapping it to gps. Sounds like it might be a fun thing to try with a couple other riders.

Deffinately sounds like alot of fun. I don't know of to many places to go other than Haspen acres south of connersville, IN. When I ride my pure street bikes there are always roads that I don't go down because they are dirt. They look like fun though. Up around Hamilton and Angola, they have tons of dirt roads that look pretty cool.

I own both the BRP and a 450R. They are both great bikes.:ride: I really enjoy the 650, but it is a hand full on tight trails. It is heavy takes a lot of rider input. It is super stable and fast as hell. Mine is on-corked and runs great. With propper jetting it should be fine. The only issue I have had was my clutch bushing siezing I replaced it with the updated one and all is good. It is great at what it is designed for, but it can be a lot of work to ride.

I am not sure if my clutch bushing was changed out for the upgraded one. I need to make a trip to the honda shop for some gaskets for the stator cover,get some crush washers for the banjo bolts for brake light switches, and might as well get the upgraded bushing and change that out while I am at it.

The weight issue does not bother me. My friends won't let me forget about it. They say the bike might never break down, but when it falls on me, my bones will be breaking.:ride: :ride:

Yes, the badlands in attica is pretty cool. I haven't been there for about four or five years though. I heard it has been taken over by quads and rock crawlers, jeeps, and mud bogs. It is a good place to go if it is wet because there is alot of sand and rock. Might try it out this year.