HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DAVID146

Fork Seal

7 posts in this topic

I have been having trouble with my front fork seals on a 06 450. I am on my third set in 2 months. I understand from my Sup guy, that the seals the oem are useing now have a lesser retaining ability due to the larger forks and the after market quys have not got a handle on it yet for the 06 07 models. So we are back to oem on the third set all under his warranty. Does anyone have a solution?

Usally this is a sign that you need new bushings, but the bike is so new that shouldn't be the case. The next time you change them I would check the bushings just in case. If your a bigger guy you could try a little bit heavier weight oil. 5w will find its way out easier than 7.5 or 10.

The OEM seals are not impressive looking. Read:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4273938#post4273938

If this fails to hold up well, I'll look into Synergy Seals.

Be sure to critically inspect for any vertical scratches or nicks that you can feel with a fingernail. Sand them out in a cross hatch pattern with 320-600 grit wet/dry. Failure to do so may cause a repeat of the leak.

do the factory connection seals cause too much friction/stiction? I remember some aftermarket seals in the '70's that actually slowed the forks down? Husqvarna used to say a little weeping was good for fork action. Just wondering

do the factory connection seals cause too much friction/stiction? I remember some aftermarket seals in the '70's that actually slowed the forks down? Husqvarna used to say a little weeping was good for fork action. Just wondering

Bingo...maybe this is what Yamaha was thinking with the oem seals..:ride:

Synergy or FC are the way to go in my opinion..unless you like swapping seals every 5 or 6 hrs:excuseme: