Fork Seal

I have been having trouble with my front fork seals on a 06 450. I am on my third set in 2 months. I understand from my Sup guy, that the seals the oem are useing now have a lesser retaining ability due to the larger forks and the after market quys have not got a handle on it yet for the 06 07 models. So we are back to oem on the third set all under his warranty. Does anyone have a solution?

I just put a set of factory connection seals in my 06 and they seem to be a much tighter fit than oem. What other seals have you tried aftermarket?

Usally this is a sign that you need new bushings, but the bike is so new that shouldn't be the case. The next time you change them I would check the bushings just in case. If your a bigger guy you could try a little bit heavier weight oil. 5w will find its way out easier than 7.5 or 10.

Put seal savers on next time. I have had my bike over a year now and never had any leaks.

The OEM seals are not impressive looking. Read:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4273938#post4273938

If this fails to hold up well, I'll look into Synergy Seals.

Be sure to critically inspect for any vertical scratches or nicks that you can feel with a fingernail. Sand them out in a cross hatch pattern with 320-600 grit wet/dry. Failure to do so may cause a repeat of the leak.

do the factory connection seals cause too much friction/stiction? I remember some aftermarket seals in the '70's that actually slowed the forks down? Husqvarna used to say a little weeping was good for fork action. Just wondering

do the factory connection seals cause too much friction/stiction? I remember some aftermarket seals in the '70's that actually slowed the forks down? Husqvarna used to say a little weeping was good for fork action. Just wondering

Bingo...maybe this is what Yamaha was thinking with the oem seals..:ride:

Synergy or FC are the way to go in my opinion..unless you like swapping seals every 5 or 6 hrs:excuseme: