HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbird710

Installing handguards

14 posts in this topic

This probably should be in the "General" fourm and I've searched for my question without finding an answer. I've been working on bikes for many years, but never installed handguards before. My question is how do you guys handle the throttle side? Is it necessary to cut off the end of the throttle tube to insert the expansion clamp in the end of the bars or is there some trick to do this without cutting the whole end off? Do you cut the ridge off of the end of the grip or just cut out a hole in the end of it?:ride: If you cut the entire end off of the throttle tube, wouldn't there be a problem with getting dirt between the tube and the bars? Are there any special tricks or best practice ways to install the guards?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Drill it out don't cut it off, that way you don't lose and length on the tube.

I just replaced a throttle tube recently. I soaked it in hot water to loosen the glue holding the end piece on, then just popped it off by pushing it onto the handlebar. The end cap popped right off.

I use a "Unibit" and drill right thru the rubber & throttle tube till I get the desired hole size to fit the handguard keeper. If it looks like the rubber lip on the end of the throttle grip is going to cause trouble, I cut it off.

Then drill the clutch side grip, blow air thru the bars before installing the handguards.

Don't tighten anything till you have both handguards on.

Dunno what type of guards you getting, but be prepaired to do a little bending of the handguards, relocating of levers, throttle & other items clamped on the bars.

The main thing is DON'T tighten anything down till everything's in place, you'll see..

BTW, I've done dozens of handguard installations.

Unibits- Available at most mega hardware stores.

I use the fat one on the right.

10502_sm.jpg

Thanks for the info; I've got a set of uni-bits. The guard are from MSR and I've got the clutch side on. I do see where I need to bend the end of the guard that plugs into the bar just a bit to get it square. One other thing I was noticing is the piece that goes into the bars that's supposed to expand when you tighten the end screw doesn't expand enough to actually lock into the inside of the handlebar. These are stock bars and the guards are supposed to fit. Is this normal?

Thanks for the info; I've got a set of uni-bits. The guard are from MSR and I've got the clutch side on. I do see where I need to bend the end of the guard that plugs into the bar just a bit to get it square. One other thing I was noticing is the piece that goes into the bars that's supposed to expand when you tighten the end screw doesn't expand enough to actually lock into the inside of the handlebar. These are stock bars and the guards are supposed to fit. Is this normal?

There's two sizes of expanding locks, one for thick aluminum bars (Smaller ID), and one for standard steel bars (Larger ID). The kit didn't come with both size lockers?? If not, sounds like you have the smaller ones.

If you purchased the guards at a dealer, they usually carry different size lockers. I know, it's Sunday..:ride:

Hey, when you bend the guard, don't grab it too close to the bar end hole, the last little bit of metal past the hole will snap right off- been there. :ride:

Update;

If you can't find the larger locks, shoot me a PM- just found a pair in my garage, I'd be happy to drop them in the mail, n/c..:ride:

They look like this-

replboltkithandgurd.jpg

1 person likes this

Thanks for the info. I found some old Teflon shock bushings that work as perfect spaces with the smaller locks. Will know better next time. Broke out the 5 lb "Engineer's" hammer and got the guard to bend right in the vise.

Got 'em done. I installed a Works Connection Pro Perch w/ compression release for the clutch and put an aluminum throttle tube on also. Everything worked out great. The unibit allow me to make a perfect size hole in the aluminum tube; so the expansion insert fit through with just enough room to spare and it won't interfere with the throttle. The Teflon bushings actually seem to work pretty good with the smaller expansion pieces. A little bit of a pain to get the right size hole drilled; but seem solid. No interference with any of the levers. Didn't have to cut the ball ends off of the levers.

Thanks Tirebiter for the information!

How do you ensure the right side guard doesn't interfere with the throttle? I just installed my first set on Saturday, and now the throttle won't close by itself. I haven't messed with it much since then, but before I go a-tinkering, I'm just wondering if there's something massively obvious I missed when I did the install..?

I had to bend the guard so it would be square with the end of the handlebars. This may be the problem that the grip is binding against the bar. Because I had the smaller inserts and I used a Teflon bushing in the end of the bars to fill in, I was able to cut the end of the grip and throttle tube so the insert barely cleared. The guard stands off about 1/8 of an inch from the end of the grip.

Sooooo, you're actually supposed to bend them? My problem is getting them to reach on the clamp side when installing them on the Protaper big bars. this is the kit I'm using.

34-0346_400.jpg

Yep, most applications require a little bending to get them to fit.

Remember, there's a lot of different bars out there & they vary in length, sweep, angle, etc. It's a pain, but take your time..

Yep, bending is part of it. I use a piece of thick cardboard to protect the bars from the teeth of my vise.

I don't take any chances with the guard binding the throttle. I basically cut the end of the grip and tube completely off (I take as little material as possible). I then slide the throttle in so there's about 1/16-1/8 of bar showing between the twistgrip and the guard.