05 wr 450 3rd gear slipping

well i was cutting a berm in 3rd gear and now it slips a little. I can't use 3rd gear because it slips then catches then slips then....etc. All the other gears work perfectly. Has this happen to anyone else and if so what was the prognoses and outcome.:ride:

If You Like To Shift Without The Clutch..this Is Ez. You Have Rounded The "clogs" On The 3rd Gear And It Is Not Staying Engaged.

Bad News Is, Its Time To Split The Cases.

Or... Maybe Something Simple/dumb Like Your Foot Is Riding On The Shifter And Kicking It Out Of Gear?

Good Luck!

If You Like To Shift Without The Clutch..this Is Ez. You Have Rounded The "clogs" On The 3rd Gear And It Is Not Staying Engaged.

Bad News Is, Its Time To Split The Cases.

Or... Maybe Something Simple/dumb Like Your Foot Is Riding On The Shifter And Kicking It Out Of Gear?

Good Luck!

I would def invite some stupidity on my part but I think it is splitting time. :ride: Can you tell me what the "clogs" are? I would like to have some info before stepping into the shop. Thanx:thumbsup:

:ride:

I replaced 3d gear, 5th gear, and the shifting fork. I did all the work myself and the parts cost me about $100. If you have the dealer do it I would assume it will cost $300-400.

Well I see what I need to do. I am not conf. enough to slit the cases so off to the shop it goes. I really appreciate the feedback. Can you give us a list of parts and where you got them?

also how long ago did you fix the prob and how is it now?

I replaced 3d gear, 5th gear, and the shifting fork. I did all the work myself and the parts cost me about $100. If you have the dealer do it I would assume it will cost $300-400.

Your right on target for prices. With myself taking the motor out and bringing it down it is 300 + parts. I have all the part #'s except which fork will I have to replace?

• 3 years later...

you have to split the motor get the matching dogs on 3rd gear checked ,replaced if you keep riding the bike as is youll cause major damage,my o4 450 is in the shop now getting the exact same problem repaired and the estimated cost is $2000,

good luck pete pj