HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PAdaytonaman

Loose headset bearing 06 450, question for you

5 posts in this topic

I just picked up a used, 06 450 and in going over the bike, I noticed that there is a little play in the headset. I plan on tearing it down anyway, and regreasing it, but my question is should I just go ahead and order new bearing and race as a time saver since it will be torn down already, or are the chances that its damaged so small that I shouldn't spend the cash.

Thanks

I have a lot of problems with my stock headstay bearings on my 06. The seal does not seal very well. I have to regrease every 5/6hrs. I now use Amsoil Synth Grease only as Belray broke down too fast. Someone posted a fix from Yamaha on this - it may be 07 bearings and seal kit. I would go ahead an buy top and bottom bearing and reaces and new seal.

I have 20hrs on mine and they are already worn - you can feel the slop by twisting bars right to left vice versa while on the stand...I will be buying a new set also...

Good head bearings are expensive. I wouldn't replace them unless it was necessary. Clean them up, lube them, then over-preload them slightly and see how they feel. If they are smooth, run them (at the proper preload, of course).

From what i've seen and heard, these bearings are a problem. I havn't had a problem yet, but the seal is not up to par on these units. Yamaha has put out a better bearing and seal now so I'd say spend the cash and fix that thing.

From what i've seen and heard, these bearings are a problem. I havn't had a problem yet, but the seal is not up to par on these units. Yamaha has put out a better bearing and seal now so I'd say spend the cash and fix that thing.

i wasnt aware of that, thanks.

I definitely need a new set and seal for sure. At ~70hrs on my bike, those bearings are sacked - i've cleaned/greased them five times already and i had pro-action do them when i got my suspension done another time.