TPS - to disconnect or not to disconnnect, that is the question

Okay - lets have the proverbial show of hands. Who has their TPS disconnected and what differences have you experienced?

I tried mine once and it sounded like it was pinging on lower rpm. I figure its there for a reason but I've read posts of guys disconnecting theirs with good effect.

So whats the consensus? :ride:

I did mine a few times on a couple of desert rides where I would be at steady RPMs for an extended period of time. It took the chug out. When I am racing I keep it plugged in because I cannot feel the chug then. The steady RPM is the only thing that is effected IMO. I am a novice rider an I cannot tell a difference in performance when it is plugged or unplugged.

Prior to unplugging it for good, it's wise to determine if it needs to be adjusted or not. There's a process in the manual wherein you use a multimeter to determine if it is operating in the correct voltage range. It's very straightforward and simple. A notable amount have come from the factory adjusted incorrectly and after it's corrected, a lot of problems associated with it are solved. I'd give that a whirl first and if you still don't like it, then unplug it...SC

What is the benefit of having a throttle position sensor anyway? What made the manufacturer decide the bikes need this?

The TPS serves to increase the part throttle ignition advance over and above the default advance curve built into the CDI, much like the vacuum advance in auto distributors. Disconnecting the TPS theoretically has little effect on maximum power, i.e. at full throttle the ignition advance is determined by the CDI. The TPS serves to increase part throttle fuel economy and perhaps to enhance part throttle engine response.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, FFRacing79's dyno charts showed how the TPS retards ignition timing up to 5000+ RPM, and again at over 8000 RPM, mostly at 8300 RPM on his YZ450. Disconnecting it eliminates the dip at 8000 rpm and results in a 2 HP increase.

Mine is more prone to pinging without TPS and a bit more touchy at low rpm, so I keep it connected...