HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xr600Lynch

Need help buying new bike !!!!

6 posts in this topic

I am 32. I am a fast rider..I have had big bore bikes all my life. I just sold my heavily modded xr600R .After i dried my tears i started on my search.. Im looking at 2002yz426 and or 01 or 02 250F.. I am 172. Very fit. I ride hard and at the track often and i will get much more track time with my NEW bike.. What should i get.. Will a 250F be under powered for me.. Will the 426 be a dog, or will a regret not having the 250 F..

I'd get a 426. If your used to an XR600, I think you would be disappointed with a 250F.

i have a 99 yz400f and don't have one, but we just trail ride.

have had no headshake problems, but we don't ride very fast anymore.

these bikes are way cool. mine will wheelie in any gear and any speed.

good luck. bought it used about 6mo's ago and its winter so I have not spent a huge amount of time on it. checked the valves last weekend and still in spec.......

I'd get a 426. If your used to an XR600, I think you would be disappointed with a 250F.
Exactly so.
thanks guys, what about a dampener. Ive noticed everyone slapping them on 400's and 426's! Is there a headshake problem? Whataya think?
The XR was built as a trail/enduro/desert bike. The YZF's are MX bikes. All steering geometry is a compromise of one kind or other, and the concessions made to easier and quicker steering on the YZF lead to some loss of high speed stability, at least compared to an XR. But as MX bikes go, the YZF's are known for being among the more stable and straight-tracking of the lot, so you may decide you need it, you may not. They are not skittish or nervous at speed, for the most part, just a little more sensitive than your old bike likely was.

It will mostly depend on how and where you'll be riding. If you do mostly high speed, open desert stuff, you will probably like it better with a damper than without, but you can decide that after the fact if you want.