Clarke vs. IMS

My IMS 4.6 was kinda top heavy at first on a tight trail, but you get used it, and after a while you don't even notice it.

I don't know what the range is because I've never run out of fuel on a ride yet! So far I've done a 46 mile trail ride, and didn't even use half. So, it goes a long ways.

My IMS 4.6 was kinda top heavy at first on a tight trail, but you get used it, and after a while you don't even notice it.

I don't know what the range is because I've never run out of fuel on a ride yet! So far I've done a 46 mile trail ride, and didn't even use half. So, it goes a long ways.

Thats totally true, Ive just got so used to my 5 gal. that I dont even notice it anymore... PLus these bigger tanks make for a REAL MANS bike anyhow hehe

I have the IMS 4.6 and like it a lot. No issues with it. The average range for me is about 150 miles on my XR650R; sometimes more sometimes less. I did a 125 miler a few weeks ago with a buddy that also has a 650R with a 4.6gal IMS. We had plenty of gas left over never did hit reserve. Cal City (Borax Bills) to Husky monument, Randsberg, Gorlock etc etc.

I am considering getting an aftermarket tank for more capacity. I dont want to go to big (weight reasons). I would like 100-150 mile capacity. Thoughts on size and make. This is my first xrr650 02. just bought it.

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

I'vegot a 4.0 Natural IMS on my 02 "L". Mounted easy, sturdy and stable. Made the bike seem a bit top heavy at first but I adjusted to it pretty quickly. Did a dual sport ride around the canyon lands of Moab, Ut. averaging about 100+ miles a day, never used reserve, never even came close! The other guys depended on me to be their reserve! Called my bike the "Valdeze" The natural tank is pretty cool because it's opaque and you can keep track of the fuel level without stopping and popping the cap, no surprizes.

:ride: :ride: :ride:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack, but, I found this thread via search, and figure this can help somebody else out in their search. I am looking for a 4.3 or 5.0 desert tank for my 600R. Do you know if the Honda (OEM) petcock will work on these (IMS/Clarke) new tanks? I also saw on the XRs Only site that the IMS tank requires a $200 IMS Quick Fill Receiver. What is another option? Can't a brutha just buy a damn gas cap and toss it on? Or is the $200 option the only route? Thanks JL

I believe the reason why racers use and build bikes with the IMS instead of the Clark, is that Clark does not make a smaller sized tank such as IMS's 3.2 gallon. Many organized racers are gasing up at around 50-60 miles or so in the Baja and shorter races. The IMS 3.2 for them is all they really need between pit stops and rider changes.

Now if you are looking at or needing the larger tanks such as the Clark 4.3 and IMS 4.6, I personally feel the Clark tanks are shaped much nicer than the IMS tanks in this size range. The Clarks are more flat or even sided while the IMS tanks flare out right at the radiator side panels. Of course because of this, the IMS does hold a bit more fuel. It's a matter of taste of course and in some cases the need for the maximum fuel mileage.

Finish on my XRR Clarke 4.3 is gorgeous in translucent natural. Could not believe how pretty it was new, glossy, easy fit. Looks like quality plastic material.

Gotta remember that both IMS and Clarke need to be tilted to use entire tank as left side is lower than right where petcock is.

Never ran out of gas or even close on 100+ mile mostly on road DS.

I havent used or even seen an IMS tank, but here is my story!

I wanted the most fuel carrying possible, i bought the Clarke 4.7 gallon in the nice Natural Color.

The tank itself rocks, BUT.....

On my first ride the little nipple inside the gas cap broke causing some slight leakage when full, no big deal, but this was obviously a defect. Their customer service to replace that cap was braindamaging at best! It took me over 2 weeks of calls and emails to get another cap. So i get the new cap and the rubber gasket is already deteriroating after like 400 miles! I bite the bullet and buy the Billet cap and now that rubber gasket is also falling apart.

I am done with Clarke and if this tank ever needs replacing, their bullcrap customer service has me heading to IMS

This is my .02

i have the IMS 4.0 on mine, fit is great, finish is ok, no problems in the 6 months its been on there so far. i probably get around 150 miles to a tank but havent really done a solid milage check, just know ive never had to refill mid-day like i did with the stocker.

I've had two Clarke tanks for the XR-650L and the only problem I've seen on them is the adapter for the stock petcock--the petcock is always coming loose at the slightest touch such as when I pull the gas line to do maintenance. Their adapter is made of pot metal (or was five years ago) and they tell you not to overtighten it, probably good advice. I take an adjustable wrench and snug it back up, no big deal. It has never loosened while riding the bike and otherwise the tank seems to do it's job. Definitely much cheaper than the IMS or Acerbis tanks and available in any color you want, too. I've had many Clarke tanks through the years on different bikes and not had a problem with them overall.

I have recently had both. No problems with either, but I did notice the plastic is a bit thinner on the IMS. But the IMS fit better than the clarke. the natural color on the YZ450 is a Clarke, the blue tank on the WR is an IMS.

The clarke comes with a gas cap, period. The IMS comes with gas cap and longer, high quality fuel hose line.

IMS tank, 3.4 gallon, form fitting. Not bulbous at all.

IMG_2349.jpg

Clarke tank, you can easily see the fuel level, but I didn't like the aesthetics of the thing. 2.8 gallon, somewhat bulbous but not bad.

IMG_2008.jpg

and to not get lynched, here's my beloved 1993 XR600...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/MotoGoalie/Motorcycle%20Pics/IMG_1687.jpg