HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stevenmagnolia

xr600 engine swap into a xr500

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone done this/run into any problems? The 600 is an 89 and the 500 is an 83. Only reason I want to do this would be the 500 has a street plate and the 600 doesn't have a title.

Another question if I may sneak it in, the compression on the 600 seems somewhat low - when kicking it over you can kick straight through it. Any idea what could cause this? It starts real easy and doesn't smoke, leak, or make any noises. Other than that it runs good and shifts smooth. Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, it's supposed to be a drop in replacement.

The 600 does have a decompression system, but if it's real easy I would suspect a burnt valve.

600 has automatic decomression, look at the kickstarter and you'll see a cable running up to the head doing it, disconnect that and see if you can still kick it thru so easily, I doubt you will. David

I've heard many people say that the only difference between the XR500R engine and the XR600R engine is that the 600 has a bigger bore and a larger combustion chamber (internal cylinder head dome). Everything else should be the same. (Don't quote me on this.) There's a guy on one of these dirt bike websites that put a 1983 XR500R motor into his XR600R frame and reported no problems. Good luck, have fun.

I've heard many people say that the only difference between the XR500R engine and the XR600R engine is that the 600 has a bigger bore and a larger combustion chamber (internal cylinder head dome). Everything else should be the same. (Don't quote me on this.) There's a guy on one of these dirt bike websites that put a 1983 XR500R motor into his XR600R frame and reported no problems. Good luck, have fun.

I have worked with both these engines and can say there is more different between the two than what you'd expect. Funnily enough they can be interchanged as a whole, but internally, there are many differences as the engine runs a different stroke as well as bore (97x80 for 600, 95x75 for 500). In addition, because the crank runs a different stroke, the internal sections of the crankcases are different too. Hope this helps.

Mark.

ok you seem to be doing a similer thing to me engine swap.

i have a question anyone know if a 81 xr500 pre vfrc engine will fit into a 83 xr500 ?

ok you seem to be doing a similer thing to me engine swap.

i have a question anyone know if a 81 xr500 pre vfrc engine will fit into a 83 xr500 ?

No it will not. The old style engine was part of the frame and the RFVC engine was not. That will make the mounts a lot different. That's not to say it can't fit. It just might take more fabrication work.

More or less what people have said..I have an 83 500 frame and an 85 XL 600 engine and it fits into the 500 frame with as far as I can see no mods being necessary..Its still a project at present so I haven't finished the job(No Money) so unable to comment on the rest of the possible problems.If the XL fits the XR will..Huge difference in the 82 500 and the 83 500...I looked at it but put it in the too hard basket..The RFVC motors(I tried the XL600 one) sits way to high in the 82 frame..Chopping needed.

Actually I'd better edit this,,What I originally tried was an 82 motor to a 83 frame and it's to hard to get in so forget the bit about the 600 engine to 82 frame...Far to many engines and bikes and I get kinda confused as to what I've tried.