Busted Fork Seal Leaked on My Front Brake

So when I got to Stonyford, I noticed my left fork seal was dribbling a little. The dribble turned into a leak. The leak went all over my rotor and front brake. Needless to say, the day sucked with only 50% braking power.:confused:

I replaced the fork seal and cleaned off the rotor and pads with the special brake cleaner in the red can.:lol: I took my bike around the block and noticed my front brake wasn't grabbing very well. I'd say it is working at about 75%.

Is there some special trick to cleaning the brakes? I need to restore the braking power back to 100%. Am I missing something?

nope, contaminated the pad so now its time to replace it.

Yep...pads have been soaked in oil, now contaminated. Sorry man.

nope, contaminated the pad so now its time to replace it.
Yep...pads have been soaked in oil, now contaminated. Sorry man.

Balls!!!:confused: Learn somethin' new everyday.

I was looking at the pads and they are pretty worn anyways. Not that big of a deal.... I guess.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on what type of pads to purchase?:lol: Stock or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what kind?

In a pinch you can take some wet mud, smear it on your brake rotor, get up to about 15 MPH and pull you brake lightly and hold it until you come to a stop. Do this 3 or 4 times and you should get about 90% of your braking back.

If you have a controllable outdoor grille with a thermometer, or are single, and can use the indoor oven, you can sometimes solve this by baking the pads at 375-400 for about an hour. The temperature is important, because what you're looking for is a temperature that's high enough to exceed the vapor point of the oil without burning it in place, or damaging the pads. If the pads are fairly new, it can sometimes be worth a try.

Balls!!!:ride: Learn somethin' new everyday.

I was looking at the pads and they are pretty worn anyways. Not that big of a deal.... I guess.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on what type of pads to purchase?:ride: Stock or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what kind?

EBC red pads.

I like the stock pads myself.

moose racing by DP

coated in blue silicon and last forever....very good pads