HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
InTheDirt

Stripped threads in jug.

14 posts in this topic

When I disassembled my motor, one of the head bolts came out with about 3/4" of the aluminum threads from the jug. The only Helicoils I can find are only 12mm long (M8x125). The treads in the jug are about 21-22mm. Do you think that the 12mm helicoil is enough to hold the head bolt? If not...is it possible to insert two helicoils in the same hole?

Yes,it should be enough.Yes,but it will be difficult to make the pitch from both threads to match.Remeber to use some good grade antizeise upon reasembly.Good luck.

OK, I guess I'll try it with just one. Unless someone has some more input on this I'll let you know how I make out tomarrow afternoon.

hey, i have a xr250r 01 model, and it is registed on the road, but the thing is i dont like the noise of it with the baffle in it, so if i take it out will it still be alright to be registed

Do a search for "Keysert" and "EZLOK" thread inserts, they work well.

Thanks for the info. The Keysert looks like a good design, but the M8 insert is only 12mm long as well. I all ready bought the Helicoil kit...so I'm gonna try that.

When you drill the hole for the helicoil, it is very important to get the hole dead straight. If you don't have the equipment, take the jug to a machine shop and have it done. You don't want the head bolt going in at an angle.

I noticed today that the hole is very close to the cylinder sleeve. Close enough that the helicoil tap might come in contact with it. :ride: So I attempted to torque it down the way it was. Notice I said attempted. :ride: The rest of the threads pulled out around 12#s. So I'm gonna pull the head and put the helicoil in like I should have earlier!

Took the head off, inserted the helicoil and torqued the head down without any problems. Just need to adjust the valves and get it back in the frame.

Awesome- glad it worked out!

Thanks! Glad someone was listening.

Motor is now installed and oil pump is primed. If I can find another hour to work in the shop...she will be ready to fire! The pig that she is! lol

hey, i have a xr250r 01 model, and it is registed on the road, but the thing is i dont like the noise of it with the baffle in it, so if i take it out will it still be alright to be registed

Thats nice, DONT TOUCH THE BAFFLE, haha, but, yeah, leave the baffle in

Thats nice, DONT TOUCH THE BAFFLE, haha, but, yeah, leave the baffle in

I don't know what this has to do with my stripped bolt.?? lol But my 600R is louder than my Harley! :ride:

Still waiting on a fork from ebay, but had to try and start it. Fired second kick but didn't want to idle. Then she fell off my wood "stand" snapping off the stud on the drain plug for the skid plate! :ride: I ran it a bit today and it seems to run real good...very responsive compaired to before (timing chain had jumped a tooth). At idle she pops every once in awhile, I'm thinking either plug or plug wire. :ride: Can't wait to get the fork on her and ride!!

XL600R016.jpg?t=1169950141