Difference between XR600 & Xr650L

Hi guys,

What are the major differences bewtween the venerable xr600 & the trusty XR65L?

What does it take to turn an L into a XR600?

Thanks, Dan

To start with the 650L has a larger piston, but lower compression. The L weighs about 45 pounds more. Most of that weight is in the battery and the starter motor. Other that the engines are very close to the same. The suspension is very close as well. The L has a much larger stator output stock. The L's CDI is driven by the battery and the 600R is a magneto ignition. The transmission ratios are a little different. So is the final drive gearing.

Want to make an L into a R? Dump the extra weight. However that means dropping the electric start.

I thought the L had the same size (dia.) piston just a longer stroke? Plus no kick start on the L.

The L has a larger gap between 1 and 2, and I think a slightly diff. primary reduction ratio? Or is that the same?

Milder cam, as well.

Dave

I thought the L had the same size (dia.) piston just a longer stroke? Plus no kick start on the L.

I think that the R is 97mm x 80mm and the L is 100mm x 82mm.

I think that the R is 97mm x 80mm and the L is 100mm x 82mm.

Yep, the 600 also has a slightly higher compression ratio at 9:1 vs 8.3:1 for an L.

I know this may have been discused before but can anyone tell me how the HP and torque figures of both bikes compare?