HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buzzgrizz

Anyone running the Boysen Quickshot?

26 posts in this topic

pro's: holds more fuel for immediate throttle response and elimniates hesitation and bog.

cons: haven't noticed a damn thing except $100 missing from my wallet.

I am running the Quickshot on my CRF450 and I love it. They are a bit pricey, but I think they work great. The hesitation when you get on the gas is gone. :confused::lol: I will put one on my next bike.

I think mine pulls a bit harder off idle. It seems to compliment the JD jet kit nicely. I'd buy another.

Had one on my 426 for a couple rides, didn't seem to help much. I've got it for sale cheap in the classified section.

The Quickshot is an accelerator pump cover. It's primary original intent was to increase the volume of the charged pump reservior, and to increase the refill speed of the pump so that a second or third or whatever successive pump discharge was more available. This was an issue with some of the older FCR's but isn't really a problem anymore, so it basically does nothing on a newer bike except make your wallet lighter.

It does not and cannot alter the strength, volume, or timing of the pump discharge, and so, affects nothing related to throttle response.

Black feather.

The Quickshot is an accelerator pump cover. It's primary original intent was to increase the volume of the charged pump reservior, and to increase the refill speed of the pump so that a second or third or whatever successive pump discharge was more available. This was an issue with some of the older FCR's but isn't really a problem anymore, so it basically does nothing on a newer bike except make your wallet lighter.

This is exactly what it did for me and the boys KXF 250

pro's: holds more fuel for immediate throttle response and elimniates hesitation and bog.

What he said. :lol:

Same here. I thought it was worth the $100. I think the powernow is the best $100 I've spent though.:lol:

I have it on my 06, only b/c i took it off my 03 when i sold it ... never rode my 06 w/o it ... o well

Thinking about doing this mod and just would like to know the pros and cons. Thanks

The answer depends on the bike ----what accelerator pump diaphragm is used, if there is a leak jet, and what size the leak jet is.

The replacement pump covers can increase the pump flow slightly, similar to a step smaller leak jet size. Leak jets are an $8-10 part in the float bowl compared to an $80 pump cover.

See below-

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

-If you don't have a leak jet in the float bowl (like most KTM's and older YZ/WR's), then the fuel from the pump is already excessive and there is no point in adding more.

-If you have a Honda with a very short pump stroke, then adding to the pump flow can be both noticeable and worthwhile. Either a leak jet or pump cover will do this, but pump covers have more "Bling" than leak jets.

-The bikes inbetween these may or may not notice the difference when adding a Boyesen cover. Leak jets are far more effective in changing pump flow than pump covers.

Pump diaphragms have a major part in accelerator pump performance too. The shorter stroke diaphragms cut off the pump at mid-throttle (Honda mostly), and therefore make the pump more sensitive to leak jet changes or a pump cover.

See below-

medium.jpg

I hope this helps.

James

James, so are you saying for an 06 YZ450, the quickshot won't help? I was trying to decide on either getting this or doing the AP mod...

thanks...

James, so are you saying for an 06 YZ450, the quickshot won't help? I was trying to decide on either getting this or doing the AP mod...

thanks...

The best value for the money is to see what leak jet number is in your bike and buy smaller sizes in increments of 5-10. You will have more tuning options and the same results.

Note: Any time the float bowl is drained- be sure fill the carb with fuel, tilt the carb to the right, and twist the throttle a few times to purge the air out of the accelerator pump cavity. The outlet from the accelerator pump cover is on the left and simply tilting the carburetor and pumping removes the air.

Thanks,

James

Thank you JD for throwing down some knowledge and shutting down the QS myth. I can't stand that thing as you are well aware and it does me good to have you confirm that it is not the solution that it is claimed to be.

The answer depends on the bike ----what accelerator pump diaphragm is used, if there is a leak jet, and what size the leak jet is.

The replacement pump covers can increase the pump flow slightly, similar to a step smaller leak jet size. Leak jets are an $8-10 part in the float bowl compared to an $80 pump cover.

See below-

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

-If you don't have a leak jet in the float bowl (like most KTM's and older YZ/WR's), then the fuel from the pump is already excessive and there is no point in adding more.

-If you have a Honda with a very short pump stroke, then adding to the pump flow can be both noticeable and worthwhile. Either a leak jet or pump cover will do this, but pump covers have more "Bling" than leak jets.

-The bikes inbetween these may or may not notice the difference when adding a Boyesen cover. Leak jets are far more effective in changing pump flow than pump covers.

Pump diaphragms have a major part in accelerator pump performance too. The shorter stroke diaphragms cut off the pump at mid-throttle (Honda mostly), and therefore make the pump more sensitive to leak jet changes or a pump cover.

See below-

medium.jpg

I hope this helps.

James

Thanks James,

If I heard you correct it will not improve the performance on the 00 426 or the 03 KTM ?

You read right. It'll make it worse. Those bikes have no leak jet, thus the AP squirt is too large and causes a bog or hesitation. Adding a QS will only worsen the problem because it will increase the squirt further. Check JD's site for a fuel bowl with a leak jet so you can tune it up.:lol:www.jdjetting.com