Any problems with 06 yzf450?

Hello,

I'm considering selling my 05 crf450 and buying a 06 YZF450 that only has about 5 hours on it. I haven't ridden one of the new YZF's and I had a few questions.

1). Reliablity - Does the Yamaha have valve train issues like the Honda's?

2). Power - What is the power of the 06 YZF 450 like compared to the CRF?

3). Handling and Suspension - How does the bike turn and what does the suspension feel like? Is it rideable stock or is it very tiring to ride?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Todd

3). Handling and Suspension - How does the bike turn and what does the suspension feel like? Is it rideable stock or is it very tiring to ride?

1) No.

2) See for yourself:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316355

"Feels" flatter, softer, weaker on the bottom. Trust me, it isn't.

3) This is the best handling MX bike I have ridden it a two digit number of years. Yes, the RMZ450 is quicker, but not better. The new YZ, even though the weight is virtually the same as an '05, feels 30 pounds lighter underway, and in fact, feels lighter than many two-strokes. It is an amazingly neutral chassis that rarely ever does anything surprising, except that it continually surprises me as to what I can do when I'm on it. If were any easier to ride, I'd be laughing too hard to ride it.

Hello,

I'm considering selling my 05 crf450 and buying a 06 YZF450 that only has about 5 hours on it. I haven't ridden one of the new YZF's and I had a few questions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Todd

The 06 YZ450 has a counterbalancer on it that makes it run smoother than any other bike made. The Honda may feel more powerful on the bottom but it isn't, it's just chuggier. The chassis refinement is so much better on the YZ that it blows out the CRF's cornering-wise, fatigue-wise, and rideability-wise. Like they say in MXA's review, the bike is amazingly smooth, and while it doesn't feel like the fastest bike out there, the bike makes it easier to ride it fast, and the only way you'll know is that your lap times will decrease. And while the SOTP review is subject to error, the clock doesn't lie.

If you are between 5'9" and 6', and weigh between 160 and 200, then you can ride the bike with stock suspension without touching a thing, and without ever even thinking about it.

Problem wise, yeah, get a new chain, taller bars, put a zip-ty fuel screw on it, and whichever tires suit your terrain. If that's a long list, compared to every other bike out there, then you'd have to be crazy. So far as reliability, it's a Yamaha...'nuff said.

I just traded up from an 03 YZ450F and the difference is stunning. The motor difference is in the smoothness. 06, much smoother but loses nothing to the 03. The suspension is like going from a truck to a sportscar. The 06 has the best suspension of any bike I have dealt with. It feels very similar to my 05 CRF250R which I also love. The bike corners well for me despite the reviews. It's easy to lean over into a turn and flys better than my 03, neutral, very neutral. Feels less top heavy even though my 03 never fealt top heavy. Just less effort to go faster in general than the 03. I've got the fuel screw, 48/170 jetting, new chain, tires but other than that, very good. I checked my valves again after 25-30 hours. Still on the mark just like the 03. I'm satisfied with it.

Thanks everyone.

I had heard some rumors that the Yamaha's don't have any valve issues then all of a sudden the motor will grenade. I've had 2 friends that this happened to but this was on a 426 and a 05 YZF450. They dropped a valve a had major repairs ($2000).

But to be honest if you read under the CRF450 forums every other post is about valves. I don't see that under the YZF450.

If I sell my 05 in time to buy the YZF I will do so. Wish me luck!

Todd

I just got an 06 back in august, and i have to say it is the best bike iv'e ever rode. has tons of power, super easy to ride, and the suspension setup is awesome. The only thing you need to do is get rid of the stock chain. It is junk. also the only problem ive had with mine is the stock jetting. It was running lean. It popped alot on decel. but a quick rejet fixed it (48 pilot 170 main). but other than that, AWESOME bike.?

I was perfectly happy with my 05 CRF450 until I rode an 06 YZ450F. I went and bought a Yami two days later and never felt the need to get on the Honda again. The Yami's power works much better, it turns better, tracks better, suspension is the best of any stock bike I've ridden and rivaled any revalve bike I've ridden. It feels very light and flickable to the point that when I ride in the wind, I feel the wind while my CRF buddies are wondering what I'm talking about. I repeatedly tell my friends that I couldn't think of any way that the bike could be better. I've ridden most of the 07 bikes including the RMZ, CRF, KXF and none of them compare to my 06 YZ450.

I had heard some rumors that the Yamaha's don't have any valve issues then all of a sudden the motor will grenade. I've had 2 friends that this happened to but this was on a 426 and a 05 YZF450.
To be fair, Honda is supposed to have fixed that. We'll see.

Here's how to grenade a YZF:

Run the engine for 1-200 hours or more until the valve clearance finally starts to close up. Wait until it gets hard to start before you adjust them, then run it some more. Add smaller and smaller shims to keep it in spec instead of replacing the valves. With luck, it will drop one before you use the smallest available shim. Keep the revs high so that the failure will be more spectacular.