HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JCW

05 YZ450 Cranking Sequence

3 posts in this topic

I just rode this bike for the 2nd time this weekend. Last weekend, I rolled it off of the trailer and it fired first kick (50 degrees) and it fired first kick throughout the day when I used the hot start lever after it was warm. I always got it to TDC before kicking.

This weekend it was colder (38 degrees). I had a harder time finding TDC with the motor cold. I kicked it about 7 times before it cranked (not sure if and when I was at TDC). It actually had 2 small backfires during the 7 kicks. After that, I cranked it two other times and the strangest thing happened both times. I was simply easing down on the kickstarter trying to work to TDC and it cranked both times while I was barely pushing down on the kickstarter. Could it be possible that this is the way to crank this bike and not give it the TDC hard full kick? If so, that's easier than cranking a 50cc bike.

Thanks,

JCW

Finding TDC is unnecessary with the Auto Decompression system. That's the original idea. (How would a starter motor know to do that?) I sometimes roll mine up against compression out of habit or to help with priming the combustion chamber, but never try to find TDC, per se. Just kick it through the whole stroke with enough force to take it through compression. Smoother and longer is better than shorter and harder.

In cold weather, you'll find that the bike likes a couple of twists on the throttle when cold, and that it will cool down to the point where it needs the choke to restart quicker than in warmer weather, too.

What a nice surprise. You don't have to wear yourself out with big hard kicks for any reason. I'm really starting to like this bike. It may be time to become an official 4 stroker and sell the KTM 250 2 stroke.

Thanks again Grayracer513 for your help,

JCW