HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phatjonny

426 Backfires

3 posts in this topic

OK, time for a newbie question...My 2000 426 backfires on deceleration. I haven't been riding in about a year, the last time I did ride it, it was backfiring, so after doing a search on TT, I figured the muffler might need to be repacked, so I did that. Just got back from riding over the weekend, still backfires. I have a White Bros 1st Gen E Series Carbon Fiber Pipe w/ the White Bros head pipe as well. The pipe has these "tuneable discs" at the end of the muffler. I think 10-12 come with the muffler and you can put more on or take some off. Think I should try messing around with these discs or do you think it would be jetting or ???

I have a 2000 that did the same thing. It was more than just the decel popping that they all do a little. After many attempts, I (was directed) to the pilot jet. Open the float bowl with a 17mm and there are 2 jets. The forward one is the pilot jet and has a screwdriver slot in it. I loosen the carb clamps and turn the carb sideways so I don't have to remove it from the bike. The pilot is about an inch and half long, skinny tube that has a few holes in the upper end. Most people put in a 45 pilot (about 6 bucks) instead of the 43 stock. Especially with an aftermarket exhaust. I could see through the small hole in mine, but it still was blocked ever so little. Take a piece of wire and run it through there. I could see a larger hole after doing this. Bike ran great after this with no back firing or popping.

Good luck,

Jeff