Help! 05 WR450 big problems

I bought the bike new in '05, in Jacksonville, FL. From the outset, I couldn't keep the bike running. I had a hard time getting it started and couldn't keep it running without the choke on for several minutes. Then, as I would ride, there was very little power and it would stall at the drop of a hat. When I contacted the dealer, they said that it was normal and that the only way to get the bike to run properly was to have it jetted along with a number of after market parts. I asked several people at the dealership if they had tried any of the mods listed on this site and not one of them had and definately didn't reccomend making them for fear of voiding my warranty. As a result, I have exactly 27 miles on bike because it is such a slug. I finally tried to take it out last weekend and could not get the bike to start. I was getting spark but could not get the bike to turn over. My buddy sprayed some Carb cleaner where the fuel line inserts but still nothing. The next day I removed the float bowl drain and a yellowish liquid poured out. It didn't smell like gas (must have turned). We then sprayed some Carb cleaner up into the float boal and more of the yellow liquid flowed out. We drained the tank and rinsed it with new gas and replaced the fuel line. I tried flushing the float bowl with new gas and finally got the bike to start:foul: . It will run and even idle with the choke on, but will not run at all if the choke is off. I then purchased a JD kit and upon removal noticed that there is no throttle screw. There is a very small hole but it is not even threaded. Also, when I removed the float bowl, it and the floats were covered in a green powedery film. Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks, Jeff:

Sorry man but these bikes are meant to be ridden. I'd flush the tank, take off the carb clean it thoroughly. You'll probably have to soak it in automotive carb cleaner after removing rubber parts etc. Blow it out with compressed air and try again.

Sorry man but these bikes are meant to be ridden. I'd flush the tank, take off the carb clean it thoroughly. You'll probably have to soak it in automotive carb cleaner after removing rubber parts etc. Blow it out with compressed air and try again.

Agreed! Completely remove the carb, float bowl, ALL jets, needle, and slide and clean them thoroughly with carb cleaner. Soal all your jet overnight and then crank up the compressor and blow Daddy, blow. When you reassemble, make sure you put the slide and plate in properly, and consult the jetting database for the proper jets based on your altitude and templ. Next, clean and re-oil your air filter and replace your plug with an NDK Iridium tip.

There is a throttle stop screw/hole, and I'd bet you're not looking in the right place. My bet is that you're looking at the cover plate for the fuel screw...SC

Thanks everyone!!! You're right, I was looking in the wrong place. I'm pulling the Carb tonight to start cleaning it and will let you know how it goes when I get it together. Wish me luck.......

Thanks again,

Jeff

Thanks everyone!!! You're right, I was looking in the wrong place. I'm pulling the Carb tonight to start cleaning it and will let you know how it goes when I get it together. Wish me luck.......

Thanks again,

Jeff

It sounds like you have a LEMON and it is going to be more grief to you than its worth. :confused: I will take it off your hands for you. Just kidding.?

Seriously, follow the advice above and clean the carb and those jets then refer to the posts at the top of the page. There are some very good threads that will help you through the process and help you set the bike up properly.

And SHAME on the dealer.

I bought my 05 used from a guy who's dealer screwed up the jetting. Heres what I had to do to get it running right with a LOT of help from the ace people on this site.....

1) Remove the carb from the bike. Strip it down, remove the jets and thoroly clean it. Blow thru all the channels in the reverse direction to the flow of gas. Check the float level and ensure the float needle seats and seals correctly.

2) Do a search on this site for the sticky where everyone lists their jetting and what their air screw is set to. Find someone with an 05 riding at the same altitude as you do and make a note of the settings.

3) Order the jets, a zip-ti adjustable air screw and a YZF adjustable needle from your dealer.

4) If you havent already done so, remove the blanking plug from the underside of the carb (at the front closest to the motor) and fit the the zip-ti adjustable air screw, making sure you have the spring, washer and o-ring fitted (in that order). Adjust it to the setting you noted earlier.

5) Re-assemble the carb with the new jets and the adjustable needle set to the 3rd or 4th groove (from bottom).

6) Do the free mods (baffler removal, grey wire, airbox, throttle stop screw, ais) listed on this site.

7) Refit the carb and start the bike with the choke out. Dont bother with the electric start - always kick it from cold. When it starts, let it warm up then adjust the black adjuster knob (idle) at the bottom of the carb until you hear the rpm rise further. Push the choke in and re-adjust the idle to the desired rpm. You may need to do this again when the motor is hot.

8) You should now have a decent bike!!?

• 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

I removed the carb and cleaned everything. I also purchased a JD jet kit. I used the jetting chart and replaced the needed jets. I also installed a Zipty fuel screw, and the shorter throttle stop screw. The bike fired up on the first kick. What a difference!! It only had to run for 3-4 seconds with the choke out and then ran like a champ. The throttle response is amazing now.

I was unable to find the "grey wire" as described in this forum. Is it different in the '05 model? I also plan on doing the AIS mod but ran out of time. Wouldn't you know, just when I get the bike running, I have to leave for 4 weeks.

Thanks to everyone who provided input and who provided the step by step instructions on how to do these mods!!

Jeff