Big bore installation

Hey all,

Just wondering who all has a big bore on their bikes? I'm looking at one of these for the ridiculous torque and, well...ridiculous torque 'bout sums it up. :confused:

Anyway, in all seriousness...how involved is the installation? Is it something that you need a bike shop and mechanic to do or is it a feasible home project? I'm particularly interested in the Ice Cube from Max Power for a WR450. Maybe add Hot Cams (or the YZ cams probably would do too) to wake up the top end since the bottom is going to get...yup, ridiculous. :lol:

Appreciate any feedback or thoughts. Not sure if I'm going to go this route but, it is supremely tempting - mostly unsure of how the install is and whether or not it is a finicky process, pretty straight forward, or somewhere in-between.

Thanks!! Good riding all!!

Hey all,

Just wondering who all has a big bore on their bikes? I'm looking at one of these for the ridiculous torque and, well...ridiculous torque 'bout sums it up. :confused:

Anyway, in all seriousness...how involved is the installation? Is it something that you need a bike shop and mechanic to do or is it a feasible home project? I'm particularly interested in the Ice Cube from Max Power for a WR450. Maybe add Hot Cams (or the YZ cams probably would do too) to wake up the top end since the bottom is going to get...yup, ridiculous. :lol:

Appreciate any feedback or thoughts. Not sure if I'm going to go this route but, it is supremely tempting - mostly unsure of how the install is and whether or not it is a finicky process, pretty straight forward, or somewhere in-between.

Thanks!! Good riding all!!

Well do you have tools? Are you a good Motorcycle Tech.. Can you rebuild engines on cars and such? Do you have the extra money for Mistakes? If I were you I would'nt try this at home without someone with you that has done it before.. You cant rebuild an engine with instruction from the internet.

From what I've seen in the industry rags, the Ice Cube seems to be a fairly straightforward install, and they offer customer installation support. My plan is just to unbolt the engine from the bike when it finally craps out, send it to Pro Circuit with a blank check and a note that says "Make It Perfect." I figure that'll take care of all my problems and in the meantime, the bike has plenty of power until it wears out...SC

i'd say anyone who's done a top end on a 2 smoke can handle it,just have to pay a little more attn to the extra parts of the valvetrain(the manual covers it pretty well). big hals just a lowtech redneck who thinks NASA builds our motors:p (inside joke:thumbsup: ) any more room in that box steve?

Not really redneck thinkin... I've seen too many valves stuck in the pistons of these motors cause people try to do it themselves I'll tell ya another thing 95% of all these people cannot replace valves,pistons,cams nor adjust them the correct way!!!... I'll tell ya what!! Mountain Man can you tell me what baro reading is on your car or truck for the mass air sensor? I've been a driveability Tech for ford for 15 yrs... I started as a heavy line guy in 1980 Dont look on the Nasa site.. either? LOL!!! Just tryin to help these peole that have no clue how an engine works... Not mad or anything just savin ya'll $$$$$$$

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. My main concern with the big bore kits is that some I've read about say they may require some "tweaking" of the stock componentry. Albeit, that disclaimer was only on one kit I've seen (not Max Power or Athena). Just trying to do my research (again, appreciate the replies).

I'm pretty capable mechanically but, certainly not a mechanic...time of doing it is probably the biggest hurdle. I got a lead on a guy around Charlotte who does some motor work with good reviews so if I wind up going that route I may look him up for this. This is my baby and my fun so I don't want to be messing it up...plus, per Hal's point, I'm not thinking the Sgt. Major would be happy about $$$ for mistakes. :lol:

I dunno'...one of my buddies has a 525EXC and I love the power on that thing. I probably should have gone that route given my size but, hindsight and all that jazz. Oh well, there's more than one way to skin a cat...suspension is getting worked to haul my fat a$$ around so the motor is the next step. The WR has good juice but, I outweight the average rider by 2:1 so looking for some more go-go without cranking compression et. al. to get it.

Thanks again...take it easy!

Not really redneck thinkin... I've seen too many valves stuck in the pistons of these motors cause people try to do it themselves I'll tell ya another thing 95% of all these people cannot replace valves,pistons,cams nor adjust them the correct way!!!... I'll tell ya what!! Mountain Man can you tell me what baro reading is on your car or truck for the mass air sensor? I've been a driveability Tech for ford for 15 yrs... I started as a heavy line guy in 1980 Dont look on the Nasa site.. either? LOL!!! Just tryin to help these peole that have no clue how an engine works... Not mad or anything just savin ya'll $$$$$$$

mass air sensor? we do'need no stinking mass air sensor. if its mine the 1st thing is off with the smog crap on with the holley,my 87 f350 had a windsor in it i wanted to wake it up so i asked my buddy who had a garage if i could use a bay for a couple days. he said i'll save ya the headache and say no,he informed me it would never pass emissions test(that state had emissions stickers) he had a sniffer at his shop so i bet him a case of beer that with the the mods i'd do would get me not only more power but cleaner emissions(he hopped all over that just to be able to watch me buy miller high life,which i'd told him i would never do) so off with the smog crap on with headers,alum intake,holley 600,even found a set of dart heads. well let me put it to ya this way,he bought the budwieser:prof: way more "driveability"

Big Hal needs to know that most bikers will always work on their bikes.

They are nothing like personal transportation and not even fuel injection or variable valve timing will stop us from doing our own repairs!:confused:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycling!:lol:

No offense but wouldn't it be cheaper and all around better idea in general to just lose some weight?

you callin darth fat? don't mess with the force man:bonk:

LOL! Well, I'm not quite what I was a few years ago when I still competed but, I don't know if I'd call myself fat either (even though I do call myself fat). :ride: No offense taken about the losing weight - that process is started but, it is a little more complicated for me. I used to compete in Powerlifting and have spent the past 20+ years building fast twitch muscle - to lose the weight I need to re-train my whole musculature and it will take some time. I doubt I'll get under 245 by the time I'm done partly because I like being strong. I've spent the better part of my life seeking strength and while the desire to compete for it isn't there the journey and training are still fulfilling.

You're right though, in the basest sense that would certainly make things easier/cheaper but, its a compromise in some respects. Plus, I am still an adrenaline junky to some extent (its tamer now since I have 'sponsibilities and all) but, ridiculous torque is kind of like stupid strong - they appeal to my baser self. There isn't much rationalility there. :ride:

Think of it this way, the growing stupid strong, the ridiculous torque...they are signs of the dark side. As a venerable associate of the dark forces once said "You don't know the PAW-er of the dark side!!" <clenching fist>

Thanks for all the responses guys - hope some of that above makes sense. I'm not completely insane (just mostly) and do have some method to my madness.

BTW, we're relocated to NC now!! I've had some minor correspondance with GMoss and a few others and looking forward to tagging along on some trail-ventures!!

you oughta come and join in the NCHSA harescrambles:thumbsup:

I stuck a Luke's Racing big bore kit on my 426...it's a 444 now...and absolutely love it. As MDS55 from the YZF Forum and ULEWZ from the CFR250X forum can attest, I am also a pretty big guy (255-ish lbs), and the bike hauls my porky-ness without any trouble. I also have hot cams intake and exhaust cams, and a YZF pipe, among other things.

Installation is really not that big a deal. In addition to normal hand tools, you need a torque wrench and a little common sense.

Remember, there's no replacement for displacement!

you oughta come and join in the NCHSA harescrambles:thumbsup:

I'm planning to! I've ridden some HS's and Enduro's up north and loved them...my only problem is conditioning at this point. As noted above, I've been training for the polar opposite of conditioning (specifically for the last 10 years) and need to get into different shape. The two-hour duration of the HS's down here might not be as bad. I did okay with the three-hour runs up north but, the 4-6 hours of the Enduro's would dehydrate me pretty bad (like, needed an IV)...it was generally unpleasant afterwards, fun during though! :ride:

It'll come - I'll have a blast in the interim though. :ride: Oh yeah, while I'm thinking of it (and to stay on topic - sorry Mods). There isn't anything about displacement in the NCHSA is there (besides the class limits)? I didn't see anything specific in the rules, I ask in reference to the big bore kit.

i put the athena big bore on my 250f. if you can put in a piston and ring set you can do this. and yes i would say a tourqre wrench is a must. get your manual and follow the valve timing to a tee. the rest is just unbelievable tourqe. have fun.