waterproofing electrical?????

I hear one should seal all connectors with silicon, to aid in those real deep water crossings. What is meant by silicon? Is it the spray? or di-electric compond? or hopefully not rtv?

I hear one should seal all connectors with silicon, to aid in those real deep water crossings. What is meant by silicon? Is it the spray? or di-electric compond? or hopefully not rtv?

It's the grease, not the glue, that is being referred to. You can get it at any auto parts store. It is usually in a little tube and is called "dielectric grease." Some of the formulations are silicone and some are not. You have to be a little more careful with the silicone stuff. It is basically RTV that never hardens. It can irritate skin and is really bad if it gets in your eyes.

Yep, what Cleonard said.

So do you fill & plug in all connectors or just smear on outside? cake it up ugly? & do you guys do the spark plug/boot ?

So do you fill & plug in all connectors or just smear on outside? cake it up ugly? & do you guys do the spark plug/boot ?

Fill and plug. The idea is to make is so there is no place for the water to get in.

I've never done the sparkplug boot. It should seal the way it is, but I guess that the grease would help. Just use a little so it seals better. I think that the connection on the coil end is much more vulnerable.

I've never had an issue where the bike quits due to water. However, I'm in southern California and deep water crossings are only a few times per year thing. I'd guess that it's a lot bigger issue in Florida. I use the grease stuff more for long term reliability. It keeps the water out so the connections dont corrode.