Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YZ426F Rider

Holding flywheel in place?

6 posts in this topic

Trying to get my flywheel off to replace my timing chain, etc. but I am having trouble holding the flywheel in place to remove the nut. Locking the rear wheel won't work as I have a Rekluse.

I saw in another thread that a guy wedged a piece of wood in front of the counterbalancer to lock everything up but I'm wondering if that is strong enough. I'd hate bust that. I actually have an air impact driver...but my compressor is too small to run it effectively :lol:

Anybody have any tips or tricks?

Nevermind, just got it off...my cheesey air compressor came through for me! :lol:

so how are you going to hold it so you can torque it down?

I had the same issue with the clutch on my kx250. I never did torque down the clutch nut to the proper specs as I could not get the hub still by just using the brake. I ended up tightening it with the impact wrench (rat-i-tat-tat).

The nut only came off once........but not a cool feeling:bonk: . In hindsight, I would have purchased the correct tools for the job and used a torque wrench as recommended.

On my CRF, I used the 10mm allen in a socket wrench on the right side of the case. Not sure if the YZF has a similar set-up on the right side of the crank. I had a buddy hold it in place and I could do the job without an impact wrench or a flywheel holder.

so how are you going to hold it so you can torque it down?

I ended up wedging a piece of hdpe in between the balancer and the case and holding my breath while slowly torqueing the nut down to the 35 ft/lbs spec.

After replacing the piston, rings, timing chain, valve seals and springs she fired up on the second kick :lol: