Step by Step Valve Adjust for 05WR450?

Anyone have a link or resource for a do it yourself valve adjustment? How difficult is it? What might it cost at a shop? I have 1300 miles on my 05 and it runs as good as ever but should check them anyway, eh? Off to Baja for four days in a few weeks!

Anyone have a link or resource for a do it yourself valve adjustment? How difficult is it? What might it cost at a shop? I have 1300 miles on my 05 and it runs as good as ever but should check them anyway, eh? Off to Baja for four days in a few weeks!

Dude with the money you'll spend on repairing the motor after the valve hits a piston you could've takin it to the dealer.. if you dont know what your doing dont try it on your own. Unless of course your a certified mechanic or you do it everyday.. your going to spend 85.00 on the shims and 200.00 on tools..

most dealers will exchange shims from the service dept for a couple bucks a shim, and what tools? other than a inch lb torque wrench(which can be had for $50 and comes in handy for alot of other stuff too) i guess a set of angled feeler gauges makes life easier....ooh another $10. the other stuff should already be in the tool box(and if ya don't have a tool box then ya certainly need to stay away from the valvetrain.) checking them is easy,i find taking off the top motor mount bracket makes it alot easier. just take off the valve cover,open up the plastic plug on the ign cover find tdc on the compression stroke(cam dots line up with cyl head,and notch in the fw lines up in the window) and check the clearance between the cam and spring bucket,a angled feeler gauge is easier but you can do it with a straight one. keep sliding different feelers until it has a slight resistance,then thats the measurement. if its out just follow the manual don't drop the clips or shims into the motor:thumbsup:

I've adjusted the valves on my XR400, etc. so I'm comfortable digging in. Just seemed like a different procedure with the WR. Thanks for the input though!

Do you need a certain number of posts before you can show your signature?

Do you need a certain number of posts before you can show your signature?

Never mind... I once was blind but now I see...