Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muddyken

Newbie Needs Guidence

5 posts in this topic

hi to you all. i would like to welcome myself to your forum.

i have stumbled upon thumpertalk by chance after typing wr450r tuning into my google browser.

i live in Cheshire in the UK and have an 06 model which i have done 800km on in the past 6 months:ride: .

I have already done airbox mod, cut grey wire, removed baffle and will order a yz throttle stop screw.

i gather from info i have read on this forum so far that i will need to rejet so i may pass this to my local dealer unless you say a competent diy `er could do it then maybe i will give it a go.

without wanting to sound dumb, "the AIS removal" is this device only fitted to California models or is it fitted to UK models also.

thanks in antisipation of any advice.:lol:

cheers

Muddyken

Ken,

I'm a UK WR450 owner myself (i'm up in N.E Scotland) and the uK bikes do have the AIS as well (Mine is an 05 but i think the 06's have it as well)

As for the jetting it's not that big a job, if you search the forum you will get the owners manual on PDF format and it has exploded veiws of the carb and this will help you identify the jets and what you need to take apart to get to them.

Hope this helps.

Garry.

hi and thanks for your reply

i have found the AIS and will try and find the kit to remove it sometime soon.

i have just tried my bike out today since i done airbox mod, cut grey wire and removed exhaust baffle and it runs well better, much more responsive accelaration and faster pick up.

i have ridden my standard 450 for 6 months and didnt think it could be any better but these mods have made a great improvement.

accelaration is very smooth and i wonder if because this is so will i still need to re-jet. am i right in assuming that the colour of the spark plug will determin if this needs to be done or not.

any how thx again

ken

DO NOT be afraid of doing your own jetting. In addition to the manual,

check out the WR Performance index at the top of the page or specifically this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309069

The step by step tutorial takes the mystery out of HOW to do your jets.

And refer to Indy's database within this thread to use as a starting point to determine the proper jets.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411240

hi and thanks for your reply

i have found the AIS and will try and find the kit to remove it sometime soon.

i have just tried my bike out today since i done airbox mod, cut grey wire and removed exhaust baffle and it runs well better, much more responsive accelaration and faster pick up.

i have ridden my standard 450 for 6 months and didnt think it could be any better but these mods have made a great improvement.

accelaration is very smooth and i wonder if because this is so will i still need to re-jet. am i right in assuming that the colour of the spark plug will determin if this needs to be done or not.

any how thx again

ken

The only other mod that I would surely do if I were you is to pull the small restrictor out of the exhaust by taking the cap off the end of the pipe and taking the rivets out and then pulling out with vice grips.

Spark plug color is not a good indicator on this bike unless you do a bunch of additional mods.

With these mods stock jetting would probably be okay. Have a yamaha mechanic ride it a bit and tell you if its rich or lean.