Drain your swingarm (650R)

I came across some discussion in the Yahoo 650R group regarding siezed axle adjustment bolts and one of the suggestions for avoiding this joy was to drill a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the swingarm just forward of the welded in axle forks. Apparently water can collect in there and, predictably, rust up your adjusters.

I took delivery of my low mileage '01 in mid-December and have been working on it ever since; it's not been out of the garage. A surprising amount of water came out when I drilled these holes. Might be worth considering if you play in the water at all....

$0.02,

Robert

Timely thread. Just yesterday I pulled both my axle adjuster bolts all the way out. Both bolts where corroded--one was heavily corroded and nearly stipped the threads in the swinger. I chased the threads on the bolts and in the swinger and everything is alright. I greased the hell out of them. But the threads on the one side were damaged and aren't as strong now.

Water can definitely collect inside the swingarm.

Not a bad idea, I broke one of mine after bike sat for several months of motor work, sucks now I have to reweld swingarm and tap. I now have SS adjusters and nuts and a heavy helping of anti seize.

...and a heavy helping of anti seize.

+1 on the anti sieze; you should use some time of corrosion inhibitor any time you thread steel into alu. On the ones likely to vibe loose I use Sieze instead (=loctite :lol: )

use plenty of anti-size on the bolts/nuts and spray mucho wd-40 through the holes on both sides of the swing arm. then, remember to do this maintenance every 6 months or so...of course interval varies depending on your riding conditions and the wet weather/spray washer. if you live in the sahara deset your corrosion problem is much less. if you ride your bike on/in the beach while going to the San Quinting, Baja then you need a more frequent interval.

That should keep the corrosion at bay, but what about getting the water out?

I drilled and tapped for M3 or M4 (it was a while ago). Placed button head hex socket stainless screw with a small oring under the head. It works well. A small quirt comes out every now and then.

Eduardo.

I drilled and tapped for M3 or M4 (it was a while ago). Placed button head hex socket stainless screw with a small oring under the head. It works well. A small quirt comes out every now and then.

Eduardo.

Perfect. Something didn't sit well with me about open drain holes. But drain screws...:lol: .

Anybody got pictures of their work? I'd like to see exactly where you are drilling.

Who'd a thunk? Wow.

Anyway, I'm doing my clutch-bushing upgrade this weekend and that'll be a quick project to add to the project list.

I have some #8-32 stainless button-head allen-type screws and some extra o-rings that should work, in my hardware bin. I thinl I'll tap in those babies and cross off this headache before it happens.

Thanks guys! And porterdog!!

Eduardo.

That is freaking brilliant! You get reputation points for that one, bro...

Here's a pic of my (unplugged at the moment :lol: ) hole on the right side. Bottom of swingarm, just forward of the weld: IMG_0052.jpg

That is freaking brilliant! You get reputation points for that one, bro...

Here's a pic of my (unplugged at the moment :ride: ) hole on the right side. Bottom of swingarm, just forward of the weld: IMG_0052.jpg

Thanks for the cred points porterdog.

This tread reminded me to drain the swing arm... 16OZ (two cups) of water , according to my girlfriend's measuring cup.

The size of the screw is M4 so in case a carb screw goes AWOL there will be a donor in the swing arm.

Cheers!

Eduardo