Indiana registration

This is ten year old info but I'll give it to you anyway. The last bike I did (my

'96 Gas-Gas Pampera) I had to fill out a "Change of Body Style" form to change it from an "ATV" to an "M/C" and have an officer inspect it and sign his name and state that the "machine is road-worthy." This is because the G-G as well as other dirt bikes aren't on Indiana's Excise Tax list. When they don't find your bike on the list they call downtown and find out it's a dirt bike.

I had to do this on a '95 KDX-200 as well.

Interestingly enough, I got a '92 CR-500 titled and plated in '94 and I didn't have a C of O--all I had was a notarized receipt. I went in, put on my best sad puppydog eyes and asked the lady "Can you help me?" It took about an hour and two phone calls to the main BMV office but I walked out of there with a title application and plates--and I didn't even have lights on it yet!!!

Right now I have no idea if you can even still do it or not. I would call the BMV in Indianapolis and ask them. In some counties they used to tell you it was impossible and in others they never blinked an eye.

KTM's, at least up until recently, were on Indiana's Excise Tax list as road legal bikes. Is this because the importers submitted lists of bikes that they said were ready for the road? Or was there an enduro rider who worked in the main BMV branch? Whatever the case everybody I know who wanted one was able to get a plate for their KTM's, whether two stroke or four.

My final advice is to have patience, do whatever they tell you to do and smile a lot. This process might take you two or three trips to get the job done so don't expect it to be easy, if it can even be done at all. Good luck!!

This is ten year old info but I'll give it to you anyway. The last bike I did (my

'96 Gas-Gas Pampera) I had to fill out a "Change of Body Style" form to change it from an "ATV" to an "M/C" and have an officer inspect it and sign his name and state that the "machine is road-worthy." This is because the G-G as well as other dirt bikes aren't on Indiana's Excise Tax list. When they don't find your bike on the list they call downtown and find out it's a dirt bike.

I had to do this on a '95 KDX-200 as well.

Interestingly enough, I got a '92 CR-500 titled and plated in '94 and I didn't have a C of O--all I had was a notarized receipt. I went in, put on my best sad puppydog eyes and asked the lady "Can you help me?" It took about an hour and two phone calls to the main BMV office but I walked out of there with a title application and plates--and I didn't even have lights on it yet!!!

Right now I have no idea if you can even still do it or not. I would call the BMV in Indianapolis and ask them. In some counties they used to tell you it was impossible and in others they never blinked an eye.

KTM's, at least up until recently, were on Indiana's Excise Tax list as road legal bikes. Is this because the importers submitted lists of bikes that they said were ready for the road? Or was there an enduro rider who worked in the main BMV branch? Whatever the case everybody I know who wanted one was able to get a plate for their KTM's, whether two stroke or four.

My final advice is to have patience, do whatever they tell you to do and smile a lot. This process might take you two or three trips to get the job done so don't expect it to be easy, if it can even be done at all. Good luck!!

You call the local PD, they send out an officer to inspect the bike. They then will fill out a form and give it to you to take to the DMV to get the plate. I sweated it but it was smooth sailing. I have a BD kit on it but he didn't turn on lights, horn or check the non-DOT tires. No big deal.

The last two bikes that I have had plated, an XR400 and an XR250, I installed dual sport kits from components. The Baja Designs kit is great, I have used them in the past but they are a little more expensive than using components. Among other things, you are required to have street legal tires (maybe), a quiet muffler, high-low beam headlight, horn, battery that will power the parking light for 20 minutes, a brake light and maybe turn signals. Sometimes the signals are not an issue, sometimes they are. Go to the DMV and they will provide you with an affadavit that you will fill out attesting to the "fact" that you have converted the bike to street legal specs. You then will need to have the bike inspected by a police officer, this can be a local officer or an ISP officer. It will depend largely on just how picky the particular officer is about checking everything thoroughly to certify the bike. If you are acquainted with a local officer, this will smooth things a bit.

I rode at Haspin back in the mid-eighties and have been there a couple of times since on an XR650R riding with my grandkids. If you push the 650 hard on the type of terrain at Haspin, it will definitely test your strength and endurance.

The last two bikes that I have had plated, an XR400 and an XR250, I installed dual sport kits from components. The Baja Designs kit is great, I have used them in the past but they are a little more expensive than using components. Among other things, you are required to have street legal tires (maybe), a quiet muffler, high-low beam headlight, horn, battery that will power the parking light for 20 minutes, a brake light and maybe turn signals. Sometimes the signals are not an issue, sometimes they are. Go to the DMV and they will provide you with an affadavit that you will fill out attesting to the "fact" that you have converted the bike to street legal specs. You then will need to have the bike inspected by a police officer, this can be a local officer or an ISP officer. It will depend largely on just how picky the particular officer is about checking everything thoroughly to certify the bike. If you are acquainted with a local officer, this will smooth things a bit.

You don't need to go to the DMV and get anything before having it inspected.

You don't need to go to the DMV and get anything before having it inspected.

I had to fill out a BMV form # 37964 before I could have an inspection for an untitled bike. However, if the bike already has a title, you are right, an inspection is all that is necessary.

Thanks for the information. Now I just need to settle on a bike and dual sport kit. Have any of you guys rode your bike at Haspen Acres in Laurel? Just curious how it did there on the tight trails.

<<<<>>>>>

Darn, Haspin Acres....!? There's a name I haven't heard in a while. Used to run 4x4 events there back in the late 70's and early 80's Glad to hear it's still going! I might have to go check it out this summer How much to ride there?

I won't even tell you how easy it was to plate My 250X...

(proof of insurance was all they cared about)!!!!!

?:confused::crazy: