Help!! Yzf426 Grinding

I need some help. I have a 2000 YZF426. I hear grinding.?

I start my bike and let it warm up. You won't hear the grinding at first.

When the bike is all warmed up you can hear the grinding. It only grinds at an idol.

It sounds like its coming from the right (if you are sitting on it) side of the bike. I think the sound is near the kicker area.:confused:

If anyone can help me please let me know. THANKS

And let me guess...it goes away when you pull the clutch in, or when you increase the RPM, right?

It's normal gearbox rattle. It doesn't do it cold because the oil's thicker. It's caused by the fact that the engine does not run at a steady speed at idle, but accelerates each time it fires, then decelerates against each compression stroke. The transmission gets whipped back and forth while this goes on, and the gears rattle against themselves with the speed changes. Pulling the clutch disconnects the trans, and raising the engine speed makes it run at a more constant speed.

Not to worry is my guess. All YZF's and a good many stick shift cars do the same thing.

Take it to a good mechanic and get an opinion from someone who can hear it. If the noise is coming from the right side water pump/oil filter area, there;s a good chance that the crank nut has loosened and the balancer gear key (#9 in the illustration here) is loose and rattling. This is fairly simple to fix, but needs to be fixed right away.

partimage.gifx?d=30044,2,0

hey grayracer...thanks for all your help!! :ride:

I took the bike apart today and found that main bolt thats on the end of the crank was real loose. I took it off with my hand it was so loose. Come to find the key (#9) was all tangled up. Just like you said..

Thanks