2005 WR450 with a red hot header

I plated my 05 WR450 last year and it has a total of 650 miles on the bike. One night while starting it and letting it warm up I noticed the header pipe getting red hot right outside the head. I thought maybe I put too much oil in it. I changed the oil and still have the same result. When I do turn the choke off and let the bike just idle, the header does not glow molten red. Is this normal for these bikes?

Thanks,

James

Read:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54475

While that is for the 250's, the same goes for all thumpers-if they sit still, the headpipe will get hot.

If it gets red when you ride, that may be a sign of lean burn condition.

Mine was doing the same thing, but after I jetting the problem went away.

Mine always gets hot when I run it at home. I live at sea level, but have the bike jetted for 3000 feet, which is where I normally ride. Its always running lean at home.

mine does not anymore either since I rejetted, seems to fix it for most......... as lean = hot and hot = red pipe

I just bought an '07 WR450, disconnected the gray wire, shortened the throttle stop, removed the snorkel, and added a White Bros silencer. I have started it only a couple times in the past in stock form & only for a short time. After adding the mods, I tried starting it today, and it did not want to start; finally the battery started going down, so I threw a charger on it & waited an hour or so. I then tried starting it agin, and got it to go this time. However, it would only stay running while the choke was on; when I turned the choke off it would stall in about 15 seconds unless I kept the rpms higher. Then I noticed my leg getting HOT and to my surprise saw the pipe getting RED HOT ?

Yes, it was just sitting in my garage, not moving. But, I owned a YZ400 a few years back, and never remember this happening. Is this really normal; I'm worried! She's all ready to go ride on the trails, but I don't want to blow something up or get a meltdown. :)

Opinions please...

sounds like you have a plugged pilot jet, clean out the carb bud.

My 05 was crazy lean and got hot like crazy. Glowing red within one inch of the muffler joint. Re-jetted a little rich and it does not turn red more then an inch while sitting. Starts first or second kick after sitting for a few days. I only use E-start for normal starting after riding it. If I fall or kill it I always kick it. Starts much easier with kick after a fall or stall. Buddy has a totally stock other then short throttle stop and his fires immediatly with the button.

It is normal to see the header on a WR glow when left to sit idling in the dark.

I changed to a 48 pilot and opened the fuel screw up to 1 3/4 from the one turn out stock and mine hasn't turned red since. A little trash in the pilot jet will make it turn red too. I had that problem right when I bought the bike.

I just bought an '07 WR450, disconnected the gray wire, shortened the throttle stop, removed the snorkel, and added a White Bros silencer. I have started it only a couple times in the past in stock form & only for a short time. After adding the mods, I tried starting it today, and it did not want to start; finally the battery started going down, so I threw a charger on it & waited an hour or so. I then tried starting it agin, and got it to go this time. However, it would only stay running while the choke was on; when I turned the choke off it would stall in about 15 seconds unless I kept the rpms higher. Then I noticed my leg getting HOT and to my surprise saw the pipe getting RED HOT ?

Yes, it was just sitting in my garage, not moving. But, I owned a YZ400 a few years back, and never remember this happening. Is this really normal; I'm worried! She's all ready to go ride on the trails, but I don't want to blow something up or get a meltdown. :ride:

Opinions please...

From the factory these bikes are lean. After you do the mods which allow even more air in and out of the engine they become Super Lean. You need a bigger main and a bigger pilot wouldn't hurt either. Then a Zipty fuel screw to make the low range adjustments easier and you are set. :)