New 07

Some guy at the track today had a brand new 07, I watched him kick the bike for about 45 mins trying to get it started. He tried to push start it, that was a no go. Well I decided to try and help and asked if I could kick it. It was hard, it took everything I could to kick it, Then the kick starter would hit a real hard spot and basically seemed stuck. I'm thinking there is something wrong with this bike. He kept saying the plug is proubly fouled? He kept taking them out and putting a new one in, the plugs where clean and was not that wet at all. He finally gave up and road is 250f. He brought the bike inside, it was an indoor track and put it front of the heater. Well after about an hour and putting another plug, which was useless because the plugs where clean and not wet. He finally got it started. His son was riding it and it did not sound right at all, kept stalling it (bogging really bad). Has anyone seen these bikes come from factory with the timing off ? That's what I was thinking it is. I did not want to tell him anything else, he was kinda getting snappy at me for trying to help him.

The new 07's don't like to be kicked hard when starting. With the new decompression, the lighter you kick it the quicker it starts. I know this sound strange but it's true. My 07 won't start if you kick real hard. A very light kick, enough to get through the compression, should start it quickly. It's almost like you have to get in tuned with your bike to understand this... Sound strange I know but my 07 450 is one of the easiest starting bikes I've owned.

confused.gif

throw a 48 pilot in it. this should cure the popping and surging in the bottom end. also give it a little time for the engine to loosen up. mine felt that way too for the 1st time. cant help you out on the kick start. mine has been fine so far.....

My 07 takes 5 kicks to start when dead cold... One thing I have to share is giving it some gas!

I know that is supposed to be tabboo with 4 strokes but not mine when it's cold.... I crack the throttle 3-4 times and with one kick we're runn'n

That's not a taboo, that's standard cold start operating procedure. If you don't prime my '03 when it's cold, all you'll get is a lot of excercise. The '06 will start without it, but nowhere near as easily.

What's a taboo is yanking on the throttle while starting it warm, or cranking the engine with the throttle partly open (unless it's flooded).

My 07 takes 5 kicks to start when dead cold... One thing I have to share is giving it some gas!

I know that is supposed to be tabboo with 4 strokes but not mine when it's cold.... I crack the throttle 3-4 times and with one kick we're runn'n

I did give it 3 twists on the throttle, I always do this when starting my bikes. It did not help at all, I only kicked the bike proubly 12 times. The guy was kinda getting snobby with me. He's like I work at a dealer, I did not say anything but I was thinking in my head I work on these bikes more then you do lol. It was around 20 degreez also, I asked if they messed with the jetting, he said no it ran fine when he brought it home. By this time I said heck with it and got my stuff ready to ride. But the funny thing is, his son also had a brand new 07 yami 250f, He kicked it proubly 30 mins trying to get it started, I asked him if he messed with jetting any, he said no it runs fine. Funny thing is my 07 250f started within 2 kicks lol The guy and the kid kinda looked at me funny when it started.. Oh well I guess you can't help thick headed people all the time.

My 07 is also kind of hard to start. I was thinking of taking it back to the dealer (I'm well within my 30-days) to have them check if the auto decompression is set right.

?

OK, went out to the garage. Turned on the gas, turned on the choke, gave it 3 good twist and 3 kicks later she fired up:thumbsup:

if it was 20 degrees temperture while trying to start it........... that is the problem thur..........

ht e stock oil is probally to thick.........the manual states that a lower oil viscosity is reguired while operating at these temps. Change oil to a 5-30 weight.

if it was 20 degrees temperture while trying to start it........... that is the problem thur..........

ht e stock oil is probally to thick.........the manual states that a lower oil viscosity is reguired while operating at these temps. Change oil to a 5-30 weight.

I run 15w 40w in my 250f and it started fine, I just let it warm up for a really,really long time before even touching the throttle.

any of you guys adjust the fuel screw for cold weather? 1/4 turn always helped my CRf depending on hot or cold weather.

Plus like others said, pull choke, blip 2 times on throttel then kick it. Usually started in 2 kicks.

I adjust mine alot , every time I go somewhere new or the weather changes.

My 07 is also kind of hard to start. I was thinking of taking it back to the dealer (I'm well within my 30-days) to have them check if the auto decompression is set right.

?

OK, went out to the garage. Turned on the gas, turned on the choke, gave it 3 good twist and 3 kicks later she fired up:thumbsup:

First good advice I've given on a 4-stroke yet! glad you're up and runn'n:thumbsup: