Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TexN343

offset triple or Stormlink?

23 posts in this topic

I got renthall's twinwall fatbars for Christmas but parents didn't know they wouldn't fit my stock triple clamps. Should I buy the Applied racing 22.5mm offset triple clamps for around 320 or should I buy Pro tapers upper tripple clamps for 150 and get the stormlink linkage for another 150? I'm thinking I can get the offset triple clamps and if it doesn't improve turning enough save up some more and get the stormlink. Would this cause headshake issues? I'm 5'10" so would this cause the bike to be alot taller? My bike already sits lower than my 125. I just want to know from you guys experience which way would be more comfortable in both fast straights and tight turns. My bike is an 04yz450 :lol:

They each have a different effect. The clamps will make it turn in easier in tighter slower corners, and the storm link (and/or pulling the forks up) helps it push less. 22.5's won't cause head shake from speed, but they can make the front wheel more prone to kick left or right over rough ground at speed.

If you decide you want the clamps, PM me. I have a set.

Will either make the bike feel less top heavy? If both do which one does it better? Will the combination of both be too much of a good thing? Are you saying I could do the same thing the storm link accomplishes by raising the forks up? Is applied the only company that makes 22.5mm offset? They are a lot more expensive just for an offset.

RG3 may still make them for the '04/'05, but they run over $450.

The clamps probably reduce the top heavy feel the most, but neither is earth shaking, just an improvement.

" Our link will make the head angle of your ’03-'04 YZF 450 steeper by 1/2 degree". Do you change the head angle by raising the forks in the clamps? Thanks for answering all my questions. I can see you work hard here to keep everyone happy and riding.

" Our link will make the head angle of your ’03-'04 YZF 450 steeper by 1/2 degree". Do you change the head angle by raising the forks in the clamps? Thanks for answering all my questions. I can see you work hard here to keep everyone happy and riding.

the link is designed to do this. Raising the forks also helps - beware too much = more headshake 7mm-10mm max

According to Ga426 owner, you can run either the Stormlink, or different offset's, but NOT both together. I also have an 04' and I do run the Stormlink, with the stock triple clamps. It definately helps the turning....i.e less top-heavy feeling, and less standing up in the corner's. I am currently using the fork's at the stock setting height (first line, 5mm), but I may experiment soon with trying 7mm or more. The bike definately turn's better, but I still would like to see it turn even easier.

I would like to hear from anybody who has an 03', 04', or 05' and has thought about having the radiator's modded to allow the use of a Radiator lowering kit. I think DR. D offers a kit for the 06' and 07' models, but not for the 03'-05' models because of the Radiator tubes going thru the top of the frame. I was toying with the idea of having a Radiator repair center, de-braze or maybe it's de-weld the radiator top tubes, and install longer ones. Now you would be able to possibly use the DR. D kit's for the 06-07, or fabricate some of your own, thus lowering the radiators. Anybody do this yet???

Sounds like a lot of work and money for an unsure idea. I read somewhere in this forum that someone offers a lowboy radiator for the 03-05 models 450s. They even provided a link but I can't seem to find it.

flintlock,PWR offers a lowboy rad for 03-05,they run that hose that goes thru the frame out and around the steering head. i purchased a Dr.D lowering kit for the 06 and am gonna try to put it on my 05 by straightening the tubes or have them rewelded with straight ones (they're fluidynes so there's plenty of meat to weld) and then see if PWR will sell me a hose. the good thing about the DrD kit is they can also pivot outwards allowing more header clearance:thumbsup: if i can't get it to work i'll just get me a set of PWR's and sell the fluidynes:excuseme:

On the radiator, here's an idea. Tape an oil bottle 1/2 full of water on your number plate so that it won't rattle around. Ride about half a day with this. Then remove it and ride the other half day. Can you feel the difference? Is it worth all that to make a difference that won't be half as big?

On the radiator, here's an idea. Tape an oil bottle 1/2 full of water on your number plate so that it won't rattle around. Ride about half a day with this. Then remove it and ride the other half day. Can you feel the difference? Is it worth all that to make a difference that won't be half as big?

if its good enough for the pro's its good enough for me:thumbsup: in the tight crap i ride every little bit counts. i'm going to a 05 WR frame to gain the 5mm they lowered the frame on the stem. then i'm going to lower the front motor mounts 5mm,this lowers the CS sprocket just over 1mm so i don't think it'll be a problem. just because they(yamaha) already did all this to your 06 doesn't mean we can't do it:prof: i suppose next your gonna tell me the ti axles i just got are worthless too. about the stormlink and offsets i really don't see why you couldn't find the proper balance with both,if the link raises the rear 5mm just lower the tubes to flush and then find a happy place somewhere between flush and the reg 5-10 mm? the offsets actually raise the front of the bike(about 1mm) so it might work out for taller riders:excuseme:

I love that, practical and straight to the point. After riding my 05 for a bit more I do not think that lowering the radiators or anything else I could think of to lower the center of gravity would be practical or effective. The bike will turn and not stand up in corners by getting up on the tank and putting your butt on the outside of the seat. The clamps definately help and I think raising up the rear is also a good thing. I called Storm and I guess the 05 has to have a pivot and is more expensive than what the 03-04 use.

The reason I brought this up, is that a number of the MX magazine's raved about how much difference the lowering kits helped the handling/top heaviness. I can't remember what year (o4', o5', or 06') but one of the kits lowered the radiators something like 26mm. If Honda was bragging about a 5mm decrease in height, than I would think 26mm would be substantial.

Looks like PWR offers a lowboy model for 05' years only. Does that mean it won't fit the 03' and 04' models??

I thought 03-05 were the same?

There are apparently some difference's, the Storm link for the 03-04 is the pull-rod only and complete linkage for 05. I wonder how affective lowering the radiators would be even if you can go 26mm. The mags are full of good info and I am sure it would help some but the only way I would invest in some PWR radiators is if I had at least one stocker that was ruined.

I love that, practical and straight to the point. After riding my 05 for a bit more I do not think that lowering the radiators or anything else I could think of to lower the center of gravity would be practical or effective. The bike will turn and not stand up in corners by getting up on the tank and putting your butt on the outside of the seat. The clamps definately help and I think raising up the rear is also a good thing. I called Storm and I guess the 05 has to have a pivot and is more expensive than what the 03-04 use.

how can it not help? why are all the manufacturers and race teams trying to lower the center of gravity if it makes no difference? changing the offset just 3mm made a huge difference,and if anyones ever rode a 05/06 WR compared back to back with a 03-05 yz its quite amazing how a bike thats 20+ lbs heavier can feel lighter(once its moving)why? because in 05 they lowered the frame rail on the steering head 5mm and shortened the rear 3mm...point is that small changes especially if they all work together can make enormous differences in handling:excuseme: i've spoken with storm and basically the link does nothing but raise your rear;no geometry changes in how the linkage reacts(maybe the complete linkage for 05's do something for the geometry? but at the time they were not available). and to answer ones earlier ? yes the same thing can be done by lowering the clamps on the fork tubes. i might also add that the fluidynes are a bit heavier than the stockers so the benefit from lowering would be greater. its the people that just accept things for what they are that might never experience the differences from going the extra mile:excuseme: also maybe you MX fellers can't really appreciate what they do to you in a eastern HS,take my word for it i'll take any advantage that will work to make it handle better...even if it just gives me peice of mind

Looks like PWR offers a lowboy model for 05' years only. Does that mean it won't fit the 03' and 04' models??

when i got my fluidynes they were for 03-05:excuseme:

Everything helps, but the question is whether there's any bang for the buck in it if it requires custom or customized radiators to accomplish it. The kit for the '06 is one thing, because it's reasonably cheap and uses the stock rads. Seriously, you would accomplish more by fitting a desert tank, adding foam to it, and never fill it over half full. I cant see it being worth $200 or more to 4 pounds an inch lower on the bike when the '05 is going to feel more top heavy than the '06 no matter what's done to it

well uh....thats what i'm a doin' gray. i'm trying to adapt the 06 lowering kit to the 05. alot of people (myself included) probly have alot of time and money invested in customizing ones bike to his/her needs. hardly anything will transfer over from 03-5 to the 06+ leaving not only a $6k dent from the purchase but then god only knows how much in the aftermarket. i've got over the purchase price of my bike in mods,all of which have improved upon what it was. my wife would freak if i had to start over, not to mention women seem to think(at least if you train them correctly!) that parts are a must have to keep the machine "well oiled", but they really have a problem with a "new bike":prof: you mention that foam; whats yours views on that? i just recently saw the stuff.