HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yzrider84

oil drain bolt is striped out

18 posts in this topic

alrght my brother is out of town and my bikes in the shop soo i was going to ride his bike at the track tomorrow and i went to change the oil, and i over tightened the bolt, and it jus keeps spinning now, and wont get tight and it drips oil. help me please. its the oil drain bolt off a 2006 yzf 450 the one on the left side any thing please my brother will be back in 2 days im scared

i did the same thing on my 426 , went to my local auto parts dealer picked up a helicoil(thread inserts) , drilled the bottom of the cases put in the new threads and put in a larger car drainbolt , quick and easy :lol:

um it really depends...i went to one place it was like $20 and another was $70 (which is way too much) just call up your local auto parts stores and see who has the best deal. it was quick and easy, didnt have to remove anything off the bike.

alright thank you do you know how much a helicoil is?

cheap, compared to how pissed your bro is going to be!

If I were you, I'd suck it up and go have the Heli-Coil installed by the shop, just so there's no more mistakes. Botched Heli-Coil installations are not much fun to straighten out.

although grayracers words are as good as golden in my book, i stripped the threads on the head holding the decompression assembly in a few days ago. I was really freaking but grayracer told me to get a helicoil. I did that and it was real easy to install and im just a learning weekend mechanic. My advice would be to practice a lot on some scrap metal or something and have a sharp drill bit. If you have doubts after practicing then maybe for sure take it to a shop. I would just be little worried about the shavings when drilling it out. but hold greyracers advice much higher then mine and if you have the money id just take it to the shop.

Stop!!!!!!!!! do not put a heli coil in it!!!

That is the correct fix, but it is not your bike!!!!! If it was my bike the last thing I would want is someone messing it up worse by doinng a botched heli coil job.

Wait til the owner of the bike sees the damage and then he can decide how he wants it fixed. Then, you pay for it of course.

Stop!!!!!!!!! do not put a heli coil in it!!!

That is the correct fix, but it is not your bike!!!!! If it was my bike the last thing I would want is someone messing it up worse by doinng a botched heli coil job.

Wait til the owner of the bike sees the damage and then he can decide how he wants it fixed. Then, you pay for it of course.

That's an even better version of what I said. :lol:

ohh man im sure gonna have my a$$ handed too me when the owner, my brother finds out what i did too his bike while i was gone. i hope taking it too the shop isnt too expensive?

Are you still alive? I ahve to say I agree with Wyatt. I know I used the helicoil when I fixed mine.

Amen, Wyatt! Tell the truth about what happened, get it done by whoever your brother decides and pay for it. You keep his trust by fessing up. It was just a mistake anyway (unless he didn't say you could ride it).

OK, so add me to the list of idiots who overtightened the lower drain bolt on an '06 450. I plan to use the timesert for the fix but do not know what size kit to order. Obviously this will require removing the motor from the frame, but does anyone know what size timesert kit to use to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.