sand dunes and wr450?

i've ridden the WR out at glamis quite a bit. it's a blast. just throw a paddle on it, and you'll love it. i kept the stock gearing

i used to ride a KTM 450SX out there, and i like the WR more. the light flywheel (and my laziness with the clutch) led to a lot of stalling. the transmission and gearing for the WR is fine. i found that starting out in 2nd gear is best, or you'll dig a hole.

the weight of the bike isn't a big deal, and that e-start really comes in handy. i have more fun on the WR than the KTM.

i'm not sure on the WR450's but my 99 wr400f will beat any quad up comp (anywhere) and most of the mx style 450's... i keep getting beat by the 2 smokers though? start off in second like kskyles said and it will jump right up on top of the sand while everyone else is sitting there spinning!

I ride a wr426 and it has only seen sand its entire life.. you will be fine! Stock gearing is good dropping a tooth in the front is better for the torque but im a bigger guy so it was necessary. you will be fine... slap a paddle on and ride it..? Kings Turbo Paddle 8 cupper... hit up the TT store they got em

A few years back all I did was ride 2 wheels in the sand and I tried every tire there was even the spendy Skat Trak. The very BEST was a cheap 10 paddle Cheng Shin. Yes the King paddle has taller paddles but I think the angle of the scoops are off a bit and the paddle itself does not wrap around the tire on the the side-wall so if you cornered to hard all of a sudden it slid out.

The 450's have plenty of poop to pull the 10 paddle, maybe even a 12. Dont even mess around with an 8 paddle, maybe if your on a 125 two stroke.... or is someone gives you an 8 paddle for free.

Im not saying Im the all knowing authority on bike paddles its just my .02... Hope it helps.?

I have a 2001 wr426f. It do many dune riding at Little Sahara, Utah. Runs great. I drop the primary to a 13 and the rear to a 51. Climbs great and runs every hills and bowl out there. I run with or with out a paddle depending on sand conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

have any of you guys ridden your wr450 at glamis or any other sand dune areas?

Yes, Glamis, Pismo, Dumont.

how does it do compared withe the mx 450?

MX bikes have more of a hit and weight a little less.

did you have to do anything to the bike as far as gearing?

Stock on a 05 is 14/50 moved up to 15/50.

Alway's have a ton of fun out there. sure a stock CRF/YZF will do circles around you, but you'll get to ride at night, push the happy button and not kick start, and never over heat:applause:

Eddie :ride:

• 4 weeks later...

I recently went to Pismo Beach and my wr was the king of the drag strip. I was not beaten by any other bikes both 2 and 4 stroke. Most quads were not an issue either unless they had thousands of dollars into them. The bike was very stable and easy to ride in the sand. 06 wr450 free mods, white bros e2, uni filter, quickshot, stock gearing and 8 paddle. I hit hi 70's on the strip in 4th gear. Tons of dune climbing power, and the wheelies were unstopable. Best bike Ive ever owned

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of extra maintenance do you do after a ride in sand? I am not too far from Rexburg Idaho and the dunes in Salt Lake City Utah I have often thought it would be a blast to rip around in the sand! I have concerns about damage from the sand though....

Chris