safety clip on rear of brake pedal

Can anyone explain or better yet show pics of how this clip goes back on the bolt holds the brake pedal on. I think mine is bent, but I still cant figure out how it goes on....or if it is really necessary? Its on a 2000 yz426

It's only a cotter pin. Slide one of the legs of the pin through one of the holes (doesn't matter which one). Safety wire will work just as well. It's not necessary to have it on there unless you don't want your brake pedal to fall off at the wrong time. You want it to fall off at the right time! (That last line was a joke for those who don't get my sense of humor.)

Of the two legs on that funny shaped cotter pin, the L shaped leg is a lock to keep the pedal from coming out. Just insert the straight leg through the hole in the pedal bolt and lock the bent leg over the straight leg so it locks on.

Jim

well that would explain why I couldnt figure it out. Apparently the bolt has been broken, there is no hole in the bolt, just some grooves on the end of it, assuminly where the hole was.....I dont feel so stupid now

well that would explain why I couldnt figure it out. Apparently the bolt has been broken, there is no hole in the bolt, just some grooves on the end of it, assuminly where the hole was.....I dont feel so stupid now

This bolt/screw is on ebay right now, i saw it for about 0.99 cents.. type in wr 450f

we call those pins "Jesus clips" because of the swearing that usually ensues once you've lost one...

"oh jesus #*$$@%^ christ!" :lol::confused: