true 06yz450 to 07yz450 comparison

come on folks screw the mag comparisions - you need to ask a buddy to let you ride what you want to buy - to each his/her own when it comes to buying what is best suited for your riding ability and style....remember you can wake up a flat feeling motor relatively easy....just like you can get better tires that suit your local conditions....a pipe will help tremendously

Good comments. I've been reading the dirt mags since '81, and it is truly amazing how one mag praises bike 'A" while the other mag, dumps on it. This year is no different. Take the KX450F for perfect example, on mag praised it for a second place, while another mag kinda beat the bike up and gave it a

3rd? At my amatuer level of squidness, killer engines DON'T win races, stamina, and handeling end up helping me far more. I was schooled by a pro/friend many years ago, try to pick the bike thats the easiest to ride, you will naturally be able to go faster. I spent much time on a borrowed '06 YZ450, and my god, what a fantastic bike in all respects... even if the 07 is a tad slower, i'm STILL buying blue. When I can hold a 450F WO all around the track and still get beat, then I will shop for the most motor. That day ain't happening any time soon... LOL

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this thread started with a quote from Dirt Bike stating the 07 felt more like a 390, you might also want to hear this. In the Feb 06 Dirt Bike 450 shoot out they said this about the 06 YZ 450 motor. "The Yamaha is as hitless as a 450 motocrosser can possibly be. In fact it feels slow compared to the others."

My point is that they basically said the same thing about the 2006 that they are now saying about the 2007. So be carefull about making a decision based on what some magazine states. I rode the 06 KX, RM, and YZ 450's last spring and although I would agree with the smooth "hitless" part, I can guarantee you that the 06 YZ450 did NOT feel slow compared to the others (the RM had the least "torquey" feeling motor of the three and was still faster than most riders can use).

funny thats exactly how I feel when I compare trying to turn the YZ vs. the RMZ I had.
Ride an '03 YZ450, or even an '04 or '05 CRF until you think you're good on it, and then come back to your YZF. You'll see what I mean.

The YZF is the "Cool! Let's do it.", response to your desire to turn.

The RMZ is more like "OK, watch this". Not really that subtle a difference. The YZF is, in return for that small extra effort on turn in, incredibly stable and planted at speed in the rough.

When I want my '03 to turn, I wrestle with it a while, play with the throttle and brakes, fight the bars, and eventually we compromise on some sort of turn.

At least you don't have to stop, get off, lay the bike down and drag the front wheel around until it is pointing the way you want to go like I do on my 426. Just kidding, that thing rails.

I have not ridden an '06 or '07...I'm afraid to because I know that once I do I won't be happy with my 426 anymore. I sat on one at the dealer and it felt like a 125. :applause:

At least you don't have to stop, get off, lay the bike down and drag the front wheel around until it is pointing the way you want to go like I do on my 426. Just kidding, that thing rails.

I have not ridden an '06 or '07...I'm afraid to because I know that once I do I won't be happy with my 426 anymore. I sat on one at the dealer and it felt like a 125. :applause:

The steel framers rail turns just absolutely fine. In fact, I've seen guys who had that dialed in at a particular track, and it's bloody scary how fast they can be. But they're a full double handful on a tight, flat turn.

When I want my '03 to turn, I wrestle with it a while, play with the throttle and brakes, fight the bars, and eventually we compromise on some sort of turn.

HAHAHA Now that's some funny sh!t right there.

I can't compare Crf's to YZf's year for year, but my riding buddy buys a new YZ450 every year and I test ride them every year.

I finally bought the 07'. :applause: The power is deceptive, and there is more where that came from. I came off of a cr250 2-str., so plenty of power there, IMHO.

The 03 was a beast, and I felt between 2nd and 3rd alot - not enough riding time to adjust to a 4 speed.

The power is good and smooth and it finally feels lighter and turns alot better. I was almost sold with the 5 sp. tranny w/ 06, but the 07' clinched the decision for me.

i had a 04 CRF with 20mm clamps on it. Also raced a RMZ the last 2 years and IMHO, the YZ isnt in the same ball park as far as turning goes. The bike is great. Very stable, solid motor, but it does not turn like the Honda or the Suzuki. I am specificlly speaking about how the bike turns compared to the CRF and RMZ.

• 2 months later...

I finally bought the 07'. :bonk: The power is deceptive, and there is more where that came from. I came off of a cr250 2-str., so plenty of power there, IMHO.

The 03 was a beast, and I felt between 2nd and 3rd alot - not enough riding time to adjust to a 4 speed.

The power is good and smooth and it finally feels lighter and turns alot better. I was almost sold with the 5 sp. tranny w/ 06, but the 07' clinched the decision for me.

Agreed. Ihave been in the YZF saddle off and on over the years since one of my buddies first when 4 stroke in '02 with a 426. There wasn't a lot to like about the 426's except for the unbelievable "new" kind of acceleration. I would spank him in the corners, and whoops with my '97 KX250, but on the long straights, and muddy tracks that 426 would kik my friggin a$$.

I spent some time on an '03 450, and that bike was getting MUCH better, but had a brutal hard hitting motor. Both my buds with '03's added flywheel weights, and the bikes were sweet. From like '04 up, Yami has listened to the masses of riders, and is producing a lightweight, easy to ride, and reliable MX'er. This is what SELLS.

Never in my life have I been able to purchase a bike right off the showroon floor (I've owned 9 new bikes since '86), and just ride it and be 100% comfortable with it. My '07 450 is just that.... I put about 20 hrs in breaking in the suspension, set the sag, tweaked the clickers, and i'm done. I smile every time I hit bumps....

?:ride:

At my age and ability{or lack there of} I think smooth, flat and drama free is a good motor. I have a 04 450f that I rode/raced stock until this past winter. I actually wanted to mellow it out so I made the obligatory changes and I love it now. Smooth power is manageable power and it is deceptively fast even though it doesnt feel fast. I think alot of it depends on how you like a bike to feel...I loved the explosive power and the arm stretching hit at first but after a few seasons of flailing legs and arms too stiff to shampoo my head the next day I wanted mellow. If it were me I would go the 2007 route, set the ergos and suspension up and ride it for a couple of months and then see if you feel any changes are needed and pipe/jet/modify as necessary.

My '07 450F practically holeshots every moto I'm in. I added one tooth to the rear and third gear is magic. It revs way out and always has me in front. Very smooth power is very effective, less tiring and very predictable. After the start, the rest of the race is not about the motor anymore. I have a pick of bikes from mild to wild and this bike is the easiest one to pull starts on.

As far as the handling, it took some testing, but was well worth it. I put the Applied 24mm clamps on, softened the front compression a tad, raised the forks about 10mm from the stock position and set the rear sag at 95mm. I am finally really happy and can cut inside lines without the wash feeling I was experiencing. I do run Dunlop 756RR's and they are like glue. A good tire does make a big difference.

See the Sr. (40+) showing the 30+ guys how it's done below. Now only if they could figure the electric start that KTM has - that would be the icing.

holeshot_tt.jpg

Guys I have a 2005 RMZ450 and a 2006 YZ450F and I must say that the YZ is not slow at all, in fact it is way faster than the suzuki. I have the carb jetted so good that the bike is a little to fast off the bottom plus weighing in at 155 pounds dosen't hurt either. The thing that I don't like about the suzuki is that the bike dosen't have very much top end power where the yamaha has a crap load, but the suzuki kills the yami in rutted turns. The yami dosen't want to stay in the rut where the suzuki can drive right through the run, I have also played with the fork height and suspension clickers and it has helped, but the YZ is still an awesome bike.

My '07 450F practically holeshots every moto I'm in. I added one tooth to the rear and third gear is magic. It revs way out and always has me in front. Very smooth power is very effective, less tiring and very predictable. After the start, the rest of the race is not about the motor anymore. I have a pick of bikes from mild to wild and this bike is the easiest one to pull starts on.

As far as the handling, it took some testing, but was well worth it. I put the Applied 24mm clamps on, softened the front compression a tad, raised the forks about 10mm from the stock position and set the rear sag at 95mm. I am finally really happy and can cut inside lines without the wash feeling I was experiencing. I do run Dunlop 756RR's and they are like glue. A good tire does make a big difference.

See the Sr. (40+) showing the 30+ guys how it's done below. Now only if they could figure the electric start that KTM has - that would be the icing.

I could tell you are the wise "vet" by the neck collar... ?

I am just now noticing a tad bit of wash in my front end also. I am also NO fan of the Dunlap 739 front tire. I personally have grown to like Maxxis Sure Cross's, and am going to try on on the front. Other than that, my '07 is just an amazing bike. I am currently spending some time getting used to throttling off the face of jumps to learn my bikes behavior before I start tackling big tables. Words can NOT explain how forgiving the YZF's are. I completely overshot a smallish table jump, and I thought I was dead, I flat landed HARD and let out a loud "UUGGHHH", and only recieved a moderate shot in the nutz from the seat. I collected myself for a min I felt ok., and just drove off and thinking my god, i'm not dead? I now have total respect and confidence in a YZF. The motor is equally "amazing" I laugh at clowns that comment the '06/07's are "slow". They ar FAR from slow. They are however so forgiving, I charged a whoop section, and got a little too sideways and I felt my right wrist rocking down, at that point thank god for a softer low end...... I was able to squeeze the bike with my legs and straighten it out, had I had a brutal snappy motor I would have had a nasty highside getoff.....

For some reason riders end up comparing dyno charts and what magazines say. The smoothest most controllable power will be faster in most people's hands. If you have done everything to win and have the bike pinned all the time then more horse power may help you but by then you will be on a factory team and the problem will solve itself.

Only top level riders need worry about increasing HP or suspension for that matter.

I'll bet that any stock bike could win a regional competition and ever be competative at national level.

The bikes are damn good it's the riders that are not.

The 07 yz is as good as anyone needs and reliable to.

I'm not at the level that some of you are with technical set up. But I have on '06 and my friend has an '07 and the biggest difference we notice is his handles better but mine seems to produce harder hitting power then the his. Both are stock and I think that the '07 doesn't exhale as well as the 06 due to the smaller hole in the exhaust outlet.