Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
idiot_on_426

changing folk seals

6 posts in this topic

could someone explain to me how to replace the folk seals on a 426, and what weight of oil to put in?

Try this:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/fork_seals.htm

There are a couple of points to note. One is that the damper cartridges do not have to be removed to chnage the fork seals, so the 14mm Allen driver and cartridge holder need not be used. But a real fork seal driver does make the job go easier. And finally, carefully inspect the inner tubes for nicks and burrs that catch your fingernails, including vertical scratches. If found, use 280-320 grit wet/dry to sand them out, working crossways at a 45 degree angle in both directions.

The oil should be a 5wt fork fluid (fork oil 01) and the level should be between 135-90mm from the top, compressed. 110mm works best for me.

Where in CA are you? If near San Diego I can give you a hand.

im in LA, but i do come down to SD often. thanks a lot man, that is a really nice gesture, and i might even take you up on it if i am coming down there soon. thanks

im in LA, but i do come down to SD often. thanks a lot man, that is a really nice gesture, and i might even take you up on it if i am coming down there soon. thanks

you should learn the correct way to service your forks and shock from someone first....it really helps - the seals can be replaced at this time...cleaning out all the old oil and residue the correct way, is more important than just replacing oil. I break my forks and shock down completely including removing all compression/rebound valves..flush and clean thoroughly, reassemble and refill with new oil and new nitrogen for the shock:thumbsup: