How to correctly check engine oil level on 01 XR250R

Hey guys When I check my oil level I go out and make sure the bike is straight up, I unscrew the dipstick and wipe it off,stick it back in and see where it is, I do this before I ever start the engine,So I am getting a inacurate reading?

I thought that if you checked it after the engine ran that when the Oil drained back down you would have to much,is this right? so what I need to do is,start engine and let idle 5 mins, immediatly take dipstick out,wipe off and stick back in, If it is down some below the top mark I have to add some right? But won't I have to much after the bike sits overnight? This question is a little off topic but how hard is it to Tear down a 91 XR250R and replace Piston,Rings and valves if I have to correct tools and a manual? I have a Clymer Manual, I just would like to know before I have to do a rebuild. Thanks Guys, This a great site, I have seen so many GREAT topics on this forum and I just joined last night,Matt

What year XR do you have? 91? They changed a bit in 96.

Checking the oil in an XR is weird in you have to run the engine first to get an accurate reading. When in doubt, check for SOME OIL before starting.

The most accurate way? Change the oil! Warm the engine, drain the oil, change the filter, add the recommended oil. Now you know how the dipstick should read.

What I have noticed on my XR400 after I have changed the oil & filter, then added 1.9 quarts.

I warmed the engine for 5 minutes like Honda states. Checked the oil. It seems low.

I warmed the engine for a few minutes, rode the bike around my truck. Checked the oil. It measured full. From what I have noticed, you need to get oil moving in the gearbox.

Too much oil is NOT good for bikes.

When overfilled, XR's will smoke badly.

so dwight can I just check my level when the oil is could or do I need to warm up for 5 minutes,check level,lets say dwight that I checked the level cold and it was at the top line,then i warmed the bike for 5 minutes and it was 1/2 way between top and bottom lines,do I go ahead and fill it up? Then I will have to much right?

• Experts

Matt, your 1991 model oil level shouldn't change much at all. Very little is in oil cooler. No place else for it to go and stay. I filled mine to top edge of upper line with Maxima Extra and went for it.

Cher'o,

Dwight

PS: now on the 2001 model you must ride it for about 10 minutes to get proper reading. Even then it is vague.

Thanks for the help everyone, Dwight thats what I was trying to get everyone else to see is that I have a 91 not a 96-up bike and no one seemed to see that, I did that once,I warmed my bike up and then checked it(did this a while back)and it was down on bottom line so I filled it up,next morning checked it cold and it was up to threads on the dipstick so I had to drain some out, The Reason I Value Dwights opinion on this so highly is because I have seen in previous posts that he has did alot of ISDE's and been riding XR's for like 15 years and if he has done it this way for that long and had no problems then I shouldn't. I do appreciate the help from you other guys though. So Dwight it is safe to say that on my 91 I can check the level with the bike Cold? Thanks Matt

Originally posted by XRthumper:

hi guys, i have a question to ask/add let say my XR400 has been parked for one week and i decided to change the engine oil. Is it ok for me to just drain the oil from the engine side only or I still need to drain the oil from the frame too??Thanks...

Do you want to only change some of the oil?

Drain from both areas. It's pretty easy.

I always warm up the bike before changing oil.

on 1996 and up it is much harder to get good reading as they are a dry sump engine.

you must ride it for about 10 minutes to get proper reading. Even then it is vague.

Dwight:

This isn't very encouraging. It's like you can alter the "level" depending on how long/hard you run the engine before checking. I usually end up putting in 1.8 - 1.9 quarts after oil and filter change. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Pete

On my 00 XR4, after changing the oil and filter, the oil level on the dipstick always reads low, no matter how long I warm it up. I used to stress about it, but now just add precisely 1.9 qts. of oil (in the two steps pointed out in the owners manuel) and forget about it. I know it has the correct amount of oil in it, so why worry? I would worry more about over-filling it with oil. I change the oil in my XR4 regularly. P.S. XR250s (96 up) only hold 1.5 qts!