Confused by exhaust tips

55QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW'>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Billet-Exhaust-Power-Tip-for-Honda-XR650-XR650R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35596QQihZ007QQitemZ1700672272

55QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

So this is missing the spark arrester that came with it??? This wouldn't gain you anything right?

If you drill out the stocker are you just drilling through flat steel to make the hole bigger or are there 'guts' attached to the disk you cut out that you pull out of the exhaust?

Thanks for making this picture clearer. :lol:

Well, I'm assuming you have a 650R, because the link doesn't seem to work for me...

However, most tips DO include a spark arrestor, which is pretty much just a screen that goes in the path of your exhaust.

You CAN drill out the stock tip, and its probably just as good as the HRC powerup one, but. If you drill out the stocker, your pretty much just taking the baffling part and restricing part out. If I remember right, the spark arrestor would be unaffected by this.

keep the stock tip and buy a HRC tip

then you can go back quiet if you want the hrc tip is loud

Well, I'm assuming you have a 650R, because the link doesn't seem to work for me...

If you drill out the stocker, your pretty much just taking the baffling part and restricing part out. If I remember right, the spark arrestor would be unaffected by this.

This is correct. Drilling out the tip removes the smaller diameter hole which is nothing more than a perferated pipe abount 3 - 4 inches long. The actual screen that provides the spark arresting is attached to the tip housing and, unless they took the tip off and cut it out, it usually remains in place after drilling.

Better yet, make the hrc tip quieter. See http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/xr650r/files

Then Honda exhaust mods

:confused:

I'm assuming you were linking to a discussion about adding the BD insert with the HRC tip. (not connecting to that link right now).

That's just it, if I do that I've got $250 in the freaking exhaust TIP. :confused:

I've bought whole exhaust systems for that much......:lol:

Guess I'll be drilling it.

Are there metal cutting hole saws?

keep the stock tip and buy a HRC tip

then you can go back quiet if you want the hrc tip is loud

Then you'd have to change all the jetting again. (that's a big deal to non wrenches like me).

Even if you drill it, you'll probably need to re-jet. Changing jets is really simple and can be done in 30 minutes or less. Any time you increase air flow, you need to increase gas as well to avoid running too lean and get the best performance. Check out this thread and the links in it to uncorking. There are some excellent detailed instructions as well as a jet chart to determine exactly what you need:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452877

Pretty much all hole saws are metal cutting the best ones seem to be the lennox brand.

Even if you drill it, you'll probably need to re-jet. Changing jets is really simple and can be done in 30 minutes or less. Any time you increase air flow, you need to increase gas as well to avoid running too lean and get the best performance. Check out this thread and the links in it to uncorking. There are some excellent detailed instructions as well as a jet chart to determine exactly what you need:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452877

I KNOW I'll have to rejet, don't want to have to do it again to switch back. And NO it's not really simple, nor can it be done in 30 minutes or less if you don't know what the hell you are doing or looking at! I've even watched the video someone made and changing the position of that needle and that whole assembly is not at ALL clear. So I'll be paying someone to do that part. :lol:

Like Rebel said you can use almost any brand of holesaw,keep in mind that it should be run at low rpm's (100-150) and try to do it on a bench drill or some other rigid setup.

If you went with a Baja baffle its only one size down on the main jet when installed. One set screw to install or remove. Main jet can be changed out through the bottom of the carb in under two minutes. I have every tip variation including the baja baffle. I like and use the open HRC. I just keep the revs down when I am around the cabins and then I have full performance in the desert and everywhere else. The HRC tip is not nearly as loud as a four stroke 450.

Bench drill? I thought guys did this with a hand drill and the bike strapped down? Is it that much of a pain that it's worth taking the exhaust off and taking it to a machine shop? I don't think they'd charge more than 5-10 bucks.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass; just trying to help you avoid a major problem. If you're uncomfortable changing jets, you probably shouldn't be trying to drill the exhaust. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing before you get hurt or screw up the bike.