Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
enginemedic

Tail light on 650L

23 posts in this topic

Does anybody know of a different style of rear tail light and license plate holder? The stock one looks like crap. Would the Baja Designs rear fender light for the 650R work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DockingPilot (check the let's see the XRL's thread) has used a stock light from an XR R which fits perfectly, but is a bit small and does not have a white band for plate. I'm getting an Acerbis Mollsoft light which is a bit cheaper ($25 instead of $45 for stock on bikebandit) and then I'm just going to bolt the plate to the stock fender like Dockingpilot. That plus some smaller turn signals on the back and LED set up mounted to my bark busters and I'm good to go! Sorry no pics, maybe later. Also Acerbis sells replacement fender which looks good for about $40 I think it's the fast enduro fender which has a plate mount. Hope this helps.

Go with the baja designs led unit they now have them that are dot approved, and the crf 450, or maier rear fender as jbird reccomends. There are numerous threads that show this application and is by far the most attractive. Do not buy the acerbis dot approved incandescant unit the bulb holder is junk and you have to replace it with a more durable holder.

If you can find the Cemoto CR style rear fender for a XR600 to use with BD LED tailight; that looks slick. My neighbor did this on his and got the fender from XR's Only. I don't know if it's still available or not. I might change mine out to that setup after I finish with the triple clamp.

Bummer, Acerbis light is on the way. Any advice (in advance of docket failure) for what to do to uprgrade the light socket?

The advantage of Dockingpilot's set up or something like it (UFO light) is that it does not cost more than just the light, no new fender. True, not as slick but less $. BTW I like the fender mounted turn signals on the rear of jbird710's bike. Was thinking of that myself. Hmmm.

Bummer, Acerbis light is on the way. Any advice (in advance of docket failure) for what to do to uprgrade the light socket?

The advantage of Dockingpilot's set up or something like it (UFO light) is that it does not cost more than just the light, no new fender. True, not as slick but less $. BTW I like the fender mounted turn signals on the rear of jbird710's bike. Was thinking of that myself. Hmmm.

Two failures occur! First the light burns out because of the off road pounding! Need to get the anti shock/vibration housing. Next failure is the bulb gets hot and the original housing is plastic, thus the prongs on the bulb will eventually make their way lose and bulb does not want to stay in anymore! Go to auto parts store and get a metal housing to replace plastic one. You need a three wire housing, but I could only find a two, and then attached ground wire to housing. After all that, to save some coin, I attached stock signals to the plastic housing of the light. The hole system tucks nicely under the rack for added protection! Hope this helps. :lol::confused:

I tried them all and would have saved money buying the LED from baja design and the maier fender from the start. Any one Know if the lens from the DOT version of the baja D light will fit on the non DOT light?

Im running the wps tail light from the thumper talk store on the stock fender, looks alot better than the stocker :lol:

Im running the wps tail light from the thumper talk store on the stock fender, looks alot better than the stocker :lol:

Do you have a picture? (besides in your garage?)

Do you have a picture? (besides in your garage?)

hmmm, i uploaded a closer (but still crappy) pic of it this morning... not showing in the garage for some reason. i will try to get it up here again

I've had the Acerbis light on two different bikes and although the light socket seems pretty cheesy it has held up for several years now on my latest bike. One thing I did to make it work a little better is put some liquid electrical tape on the base of the bulb. That way it won't vibrate out. Seems to work okay. It will fit on the stock fender and cover up all the holes left by the stock assembly. Pretty clean overall, cheap to.

Yes, here is mine. It fits perfectly on the exsisiting fender. The Acerbis will not, almost but not sano. This is from an XR250R, the rear fenders is the same mold, so its made to accomodate this lens. You just need the leans for a 250R.

113028486-M-1.jpg

Dockingpilot did you use the original bulb and socket from ur tv? I copied urs and was afraid the bulb would melt the lense so I got the 250r harness,The damn thing was only set up for brake function no running light. So I added a 3watt licence light and piggy backed it to the brake bulb.Running a 5watt for the brake. If you did use the original socket how did u run it?

Todd