HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
old mate

xr600 stalling on steep climbs in 1st gear

6 posts in this topic

the bike is stalling in 1st on steep climbs, dont know if it is a jetting issue or what? any ideas????

Does the bike stall at all when riding on flat terrain? and is it only in 1st??? These climbs must be pretty step, as 1st is far too much for most hill climbs.

First check your float positioning and make sure that the float bowl has the correct amount of fuel in it - could be that the step angle is causing temp. fuel starvation.

If it was a jetting issue, I would expect you to stall in other places than just on a hill.

ice.

it only stalled on steep hill climbs (its not my bike but my mate doesnt have a puter so I am checking up for him) basically really steep hill climb gets most of the way up and bogs out in 1st. It was really hairy terrain and not the kind of spot you want to stall I was fine on my bike though (drz400) and was able to go through anything.

I will tell him to check the float bowl though.

well we checked the float bowl and it seemed ok, cleaned the air filter (was pretty dirty so it could of been starved of air) and will go for a ride on sunday on the same tracks and see if it happens anymore.

the bike runs fine except for really steep climbs so the problem isnt with the carby.

will post again after sunday if the air filter clean fixes the problem.

Is he just going so slow that the engine no longer has the torque to keep going and the engine stalls? The proper technique here is to use the clutch so the engine does not die. I have to do this in really technical terrain and I have the stock 14 front and 48 rear gearing.

well we checked the float bowl and it seemed ok, cleaned the air filter (was pretty dirty so it could of been starved of air) and will go for a ride on sunday on the same tracks and see if it happens anymore.

the bike runs fine except for really steep climbs so the problem isnt with the carby.

will post again after sunday if the air filter clean fixes the problem.

is it just the normal cough and stall that XR6s are famous for?

If you're meandering up the steep trail at low revs, then whack the throttle hard, then it will cough stall.

There's nothing wrong with the bike in that event - the cough stall is just a characteristic of the mighty XR600