HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Edge316

best way to mount scotts steering stabilizer

15 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to order a steering stab. for my 07 yz450 and not sure which set up to order.I noticed that there is 3 different ways to mount it,over the bars,under the bars,and below the front plate.I leaning towards the under the bar set up,but if I go with that set up I noticed that it will raise my bars quite a bit.I would like to keep the bars the same height.Does anyone know which bar I can run to keep the bar height the same?Also does anyone know what the stock bar height is on the 07 yz.

Below the front plate is the safest and lets you retain the bars you like. It also lowers the CG LOL.

Below the front plate is the safest and lets you retain the bars you like. It also lowers the CG LOL.

The only thing I don't think I'd like about mounting mine down there is that I adjust mine while riding down the trails usually a few times on each day out, depending on where we are riding. Some places we ride has tighter trails then you jump out on an wide open river bed and I crank it up on the stabilizer before putting the hammer down. If it was mounted down below, that wouldn't be too possible. Unless of course you had the unit that had the remote adjustment, which the Scotts doesn't.

J

What ever you do don't mount it above the bars. A riding buddy of mine used to have his mounted above the bars, rode like that for years. Then one day last year he crashed and did some major damage to his (this is a family site, so i will just say male unit). Just about ripped it off. Don't know about you but being able to adjust it on the go is not worth that. By the way he now runs an RTT stabalizer.

I don't have one, but the mount in front of the number plate looks like the coolest option to me. This is especially true if you ride MX.

yeah i have thought about all of it and i went with the dh1 setup it it pure quality american made billet clamp setup <any color>and he sells the gpr dampners<any color > and you will not be getting any wrong parts check out my garage and you can see em he also has skid plates and abunch of other stuff for the 07

I'm getting ready to order a steering stab. for my 07 yz450 and not sure which set up to order.I noticed that there is 3 different ways to mount it,over the bars,under the bars,and below the front plate.I leaning towards the under the bar set up,but if I go with that set up I noticed that it will raise my bars quite a bit.I would like to keep the bars the same height.Does anyone know which bar I can run to keep the bar height the same?Also does anyone know what the stock bar height is on the 07 yz.

I did the Scott's sub-mount on an 05 CRF450R and used low bend pro-taper bars. The bar height at the grips was within a millimeter of being identical to the stock bars on that bike. I kit I used allowed me to keep the stock triple clamp too. With this set-up I could use a bar pad and still get to the adjustment wheel on the stabilizer. Not sure if all that will translate to the 07 YZ or not.

What ever you do don't mount it above the bars. A riding buddy of mine used to have his mounted above the bars, rode like that for years. Then one day last year he crashed and did some major damage to his (this is a family site, so i will just say male unit). Just about ripped it off. Don't know about you but being able to adjust it on the go is not worth that. By the way he now runs an RTT stabalizer.

I guess that just depends on what kind of riding you do, where should we mount our GPS and other gear? For that matter of you're going end-over I'd be more worried about where the 200+ lb bike is going to land.

J

I have an 06 YZ450 and went with the SUB mount. This lifted the stock bars 25mm. For me (I'm 5-11) was a bit too tall. Pro Taper said the stock 06 bars are 79mm. Not sure if the 07 are the same. The lowest bend bar I could find was a YZ low bend which are 67mm. This put me around a 92mm height which is the same as a Reed/Henry bend. The pullback is a little more though. Pro Taper doesn't make this bend anymore. I found it online. The lowest current bend I could find is a 71mm

Here is a pic of my 07 YZ450 with BRP 's under the bar stabilizer mount (SUB mount). It did bring the bars up a good amount but thats what I wanted. A friend of mine got the same mount but slapped some CR low bars on, its pretty darn close to stock height.

brpit.com

3229IMG_0280-med.JPG

Here is a pic of my 07 YZ450 with BRP 's under the bar stabilizer mount (SUB mount). It did bring the bars up a good amount but thats what I wanted. A friend of mine got the same mount but slapped some CR low bars on, its pretty darn close to stock height.

brpit.com

3229IMG_0280-med.JPG

I'm debating mounting a stabilizer to my 07 WR 450 and noticed the neck of the steering head where the post clamps on is not round like my older WR's and actually has a bit of a taper. Are the aluminium framed YZ's the same? If so, does the steering head require some drilling/tapping for a set screw to hold the post clamp in place?

I'm debating mounting a stabilizer to my 07 WR 450 and noticed the neck of the steering head where the post clamps on is not round like my older WR's and actually has a bit of a taper. Are the aluminium framed YZ's the same? If so, does the steering head require some drilling/tapping for a set screw to hold the post clamp in place?

No drilling or anything like that. Not sure if you can tell from my pic or not but the post bolts where the top part of the tank bolts to the frame. There are also 2 spurs that dig into your neck, you have to tap the post clamp a bit to get them to dig in. Then there is the screw that sqeezes the clamp around the neck.

I see you are in Huntington, I'm in Westminster, your welcome to come by and check it out.

Justin

No drilling or anything like that. Not sure if you can tell from my pic or not but the post bolts where the top part of the tank bolts to the frame. There are also 2 spurs that dig into your neck, you have to tap the post clamp a bit to get them to dig in. Then there is the screw that sqeezes the clamp around the neck.

I see you are in Huntington, I'm in Westminster, your welcome to come by and check it out.

Justin

Thanks - I may just take you up on your offer.