Front Light Bulb Life Span

Had the low beam front bulb blow on me yesterday night heading back from the coast. Was on the freeway at the time going a good speed. Switched to high beam to get me home.

Bought and installed a new bulb today. Not cheap. Halogen bad ass bulb.

Not like the bulbs of my former enduro bikes.

Rode about 5,500 klm with that bulb. Would have expected a longer run.

Not too bright when it comes to bulb longevity, how long are bulbs lasting other riders ?

XR650R Australian model. Aware that the lightening is more powerful than the US versions.

Anyone care to to enlighten me ? (sorry, couldn't help it)

In all my years of riding I have never had a bulb fail. I do replace them before they fail. My current headlight bulb in my XR600 is about 5 years old. It's time for a new one. I have a high output stator and run a H4 90/110 watt bulb.

Those high output bulbs are the problem. The way that they get the extra light output is to run hotter. Hotter mens less life. A standard H4 bulb is good for about 500 hours. Long life bulbs last about 1500 hours but make about 10% less light. The special high output bulbs that only use the "legal" 55/65 watts may only last for 100 hours. A better choice are the standard filament temperature, but higher wattage bulbs. More life and still 400+ hours of life. Hella makes several higher wattage bulbs. There are 65/70 watt and 75/80 watt versions as well as the 90/100 that I have.

Another possibility is your voltage regulator is letting the voltage get a little to high.

Of course it could have just been a bad bulb.

So Cleonard, your saying you put the the H4 into a stock socket?(any modifications?) & do you use the stock wiring ? & is a 90/110 a hi low? 2 filiments? & are you saying your bulb is considered standard H4 / 500 hrs average life?

So Cleonard, your saying you put the the H4 into a stock socket?(any modifications?) & do you use the stock wiring ? & is a 90/110 a hi low? 2 filiments? & are you saying your bulb is considered standard H4 / 500 hrs average life?

Yes it's a 90 low 110 high H4 bulb. I got it several years ago so I'm not sure if I remember, but I think it was a 400 hour rated life. Usually it's hard to find those expected life figures. The wiring is a combination of stock and the Baja Designs dual sport kit. My dual sport kit uses a Acerbis DOT headlight shell. I use one winding on my high output stator. I also have an heavy duty regulator. I think most of the wiring is 18 gage and I'm sure larger wire would be better.

Hella has a large variety of higher than 55/65 watt H4 bulbs. They used to give life figures on thier website, but no any more. Most of the range is sold by this company in the US. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp The Hella catalog is here http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/ProductsServices/PDF/Bulbs1.pdf

I think that a H3 bulb can be made to fit the stock headlight with a little filing and or grinding. I think that there is also a PIAA high output bulb available for the stock enclosure that is the correct fit. It's still only 35 watts but it's better than the stock Honda bulb.

Anyone have a source/stock number for the PIAA?

Chip

The new bulb I bought is a H4Bs 12v 45/45w

M&H Motorcycle Bulb

Serial number B35 BA20D

Doesn't mention the 650 on the box though recommended for the XR400/600R.