HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gray

XR650R Gearing Question

5 posts in this topic

I have a new 2006 XR650R with factory 14/48 gearing and am considering changing front sproket to 13 tooth. Is a 13 tooth too hard on the chain? If not then which brand sproket would make a worthy replacement? I have looked at the Sidewinder but I don't know much about the company. Any suggestions? Thanks, Greg

Welcome to Thumpertalk, Gray,

I like the Ironman sprockets myself :lol: , They have been on my bike over a year now.:confused:

I have 14/51 gearing...

:confused::crazy:

I run 13/51 ironman sprockets, DID x-ring chain, two links longer than stock with a Teraflex tire, white bros pipe. Works great. Guys I rode with last weekend said the bike was shooting rocks the size of baseballs at them. :lol:

I run 13/51 ironman sprockets, DID x-ring chain, two links longer than stock with a Teraflex tire, white bros pipe. Works great. Guys I rode with last weekend said the bike was shooting rocks the size of baseballs at them. :lol:

My cousin bought a rear ironman sprocket for his WR450. It has been on his bike for maybe 1000 off-road miles, and has more visible wear than my stock Sunstar sprocket with 3000 miles on it on my XR650R.

I don't know about if a 13T front will hurt the chain, but stick with STEEL Sunstar sprockets.

P.S. While on the subject. Here's a handy equation for figuring speed adjustments with different gearing. Take the larger sprocket size, and divide it by the smaller. I'm still stock, so I'll use 14-48.

48/14 = 3.43 gearing (I.E. the counter-shaft sprocket spins 3.43 times per rotation of the drive sprocket).

48/13 = 3.69 gearing.

Ok, for me, my top speed is 95 Mph with 14-48, so we'll set the equation up like this:

A=Current Gearing, B=New Gearing, C=Old Top Speed, X=New Top Speed

(A * C) / B = X

(3.43 * 95) / 3.69 = X

To find the value of X, multiply 95 * 3.43 (= 325.85). Now take the product, and divide it by the new gear ratio. (325.85 / 3.69 = 88.3)

With 13-48 gearing, you new top speed will be around 88 Mph.

Man that is too cool. You are way smarter than I am. I appreciate the equation and the valuable input. I will use a Sunstar steel 13 tooth front that I believe will give me what I am looking for.

Thanks, Greg.