ASV levers

I just installed some ASV C5 pro model clutch and brake levers and I have a few questions. I have to say the blue levers look sweet!

First off, is it best to put the yamaha boot back on the brake lever to keep dirt out or is it not necesary? Also, I haven't ridden it because it's late but it seems that there is way less movement in the clutch cable compared to the stock lever. Even when I adjust it to 0 play in the lever, it seems to not engage the clutch close to as much as the stock lever. I could be wrong but I did look at how much movement there was where the clutch cable meets the engine and it's definitely less (it appears like way less). Did any of you have this problem and how can you adjust it if you have no more play in the lever?

Thanks!

I put the boot back on my ASV brake lever and it eventually ripped it because it was too tight. Also you should have some play at the clutch lever, about the thickness of a nickel.

I noticed that none of the photos on the ASV website have the boot on so I figured that would probably be right. I'll give it a little play, it just surprises me how much less the clutch engages with these levers. Hopefully I'll have a chance to ride the bike today to see if it completely disengages.

I'm riding an 07 450 with the C5 ASV levers as well (I went with black) - but yes I noticed the lack of slack in the line as well...I used my cover for the hotstart just to keep dirt from getting up in there...

p.s. I love the hotstart down at the thumb position rather than up top!

I run the stock brake lever boot on ASV C5's on both bikes, no problem.

On both levers, there should be a reach adjuster near the lever pivot which allows you to adjust the at rest position of the lever. You can use this to control the catch point of the clutch and brake, as well as the lever reach, if you like, but you must have 3mm free play in the clutch cable itself.

Same.

I adjust the reach so that it's right under the 1st joint of my middle finger. I don't want to have to reach for it- want it to be right there. I've found this to go a long ways in preventing arm pump.

I have broken my last stock clutch and have decided to go with the C5.....But what ones....Standard or Pro? I need the perch right? Hot Start? I am so confused....Grey: Part #s that you have greatly appreciated.
Get the C5 clutch pro perch with the hot start lever, and a lever only for the brake. Any listed for '01 or later YZ/YZF will fit the '06.

Go to eBay, eBay Motors, and search for ASV. ASV sells the repaired and/or blemished levers as refurbs with a full new part warranty there. Excellent prices.

When I first installed it on the '03, it still had 7/8" bars with a crossbar, and there seemed no way to get it routed so that the cable housing did not come off the hot start lever at an angle, and that did keep it from working as smoothly as I would have liked it to. I did get it to where it would return, although it never would really snap back.

It works better with the fat bars, as there is no crossbar clamp in the way of the cable any more.

I have broken my last stock clutch and have decided to go with the C5.....But what ones....Standard or Pro? I need the perch right? Hot Start? I am so confused....Grey: Part #s that you have greatly appreciated.

Eday 40$ for a c5 and it fits on the stock perch:applause:

The ASV's on ebay are refurbs with a 5 yr warrenty.

ASV sells them direct on ebay. His name on there is ASVinventions

He even has factory blemish items on there for super cheap. I bought a rotator clamp that is a factory blem, and after all the years, I still can't find the blemish!

-PHill

On both levers, there should be a reach adjuster near the lever pivot which allows you to adjust the at rest position of the lever. You can use this to control the catch point of the clutch and brake, as well as the lever reach, if you like, but you must have 3mm free play in the clutch cable itself.

I finally got to ride it today and figured that out right before my ride. I knew it could adjust for reach but the way it came from factory (close to the bars) reduced the amount of room to pull the cable. It's working good now and I love this shorty clutch lever since I only use 1 or 2 fingers.

The ASV's on ebay are refurbs with a 5 yr warrenty.

ASV sells them direct on ebay. His name on there is ASVinventions

He even has factory blemish items on there for super cheap. I bought a rotator clamp that is a factory blem, and after all the years, I still can't find the blemish!

-PHill

Yes, that's where I got mine. $55 for a C5 brake lever and C5 pro perch with hot start and shorty lever. These were supposedly refurbished but they must have reanodized them because they are flawless. Man, why would anyone pay retail when you can get brand new "refubished" ones for 1/4 the cost?

no mine were the c5 and all will bend go to the warranty section on any after market lever and they will all tell you how to bend them back they all suck and they will all bend or break

They only lessen the chance of breaking/bending, compared to stock. I've used both Sunline and ASV, and I've bent/broke both of them. One of the best things to do, is to simply keep the perch just tight enough to keep it from rotating on it's own.