HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldSkewl

1998 XR600R motor in a 1992 XR600R frame question...

5 posts in this topic

Are the 1992 and 1998 XR600R frames identical? Can I bolt up a 98 motor in a 92 chassis? Can I build one great bike from the best parts of the two?

Thanks in advance :lol:

I think that the two bikes are almost identical. One thing that is different is the diameter of the front axle. However, I'm not sure of the year of that change. It was either 92 or 93. Otherwise, I think that everything is swappable. A few things, like the body of the shock, will look different, but they are interchangeable.

I think that the two bikes are almost identical. One thing that is different is the diameter of the front axle. However, I'm not sure of the year of that change. It was either 92 or 93. Otherwise, I think that everything is swappable.

The axle changed in 92. Everything after that was the same (with the exception of graphics).

Are the 1992 and 1998 XR600R frames identical? Can I bolt up a 98 motor in a 92 chassis? Can I build one great bike from the best parts of the two?

Thanks in advance :lol:

yep sure are.

Last signficant change in frames was 89 I think when the disc brake appeared.

The only issue with older (but still usable) frames is the fatigue in the metal - newer frames will have less fatigue due to less age

the 89 still had a drum (I have an 89 frame that I coverted to disk due to dual sport status):ride: