HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2000 yz426f

Making a YZ426F Faster

26 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 yz426f and I am getting a little bored with the power it makes. It is totally stock except for schmidt forks and shock and a white brothers r4 exhaust with header. What parts are out there to make this bike faster for under a few hundred bucks? I want to get an autodecomp cam from hotcams but will it really make it noticably faster?

Check out the Yamaha forums a bit farther down from this, they should be able to help you out. I'm sure there's some free mods you can do (it seems like most bikes have free mods, or at least really easy ones that give decent results).

If you've just done the pipe, most bikes respond well to opening the airbox, getting a better filter, and rejetting. Some people have had good luck with POWERNOW inserts for the carb, still around $100 bucks i think.

13.5:1 piston, set of Hot Cams , JD jet kit..... It depends on how much money you want to spend. Just freshing up the motor will make a world of difference.

I have a 2000 yz426f and I am getting a little bored with the power it makes. It is totally stock except for schmidt forks and shock and a white brothers r4 exhaust with header. What parts are out there to make this bike faster for under a few hundred bucks? I want to get an autodecomp cam from hotcams but will it really make it noticably faster?

A 426 is a little too big for an 8 year old don't you think?

I'm actually 18 how do I change the age on my profile. Do you really think an 8 year old would be using this forum?

I'm actually 18 how do I change the age on my profile. Do you really think an 8 year old would be using this forum?

Go to user control panel

Then edit profile

then put in your real birthday

BTW eight year olds don't use this forum (not that I know of), but there are plenty of adults that act like eight year olds:bonk:

What type of riding are you doing that the 426 is too slow? What gearing do you have at the moment? If you are tapping out a 426 on a mx/sx track you should do 2 things, (1) Call Yamaha and get sponsored and or (2) go somewhere besides a drag strip.

What type of riding are you doing that the 426 is too slow? What gearing do you have at the moment? If you are tapping out a 426 on a mx/sx track you should do 2 things, (1) Call Yamaha and get sponsored and or (2) go somewhere besides a drag strip.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. Far as power goes 99% of people can even utilize the power of the old YZ400. let alone the 426 or 450 on an MX track.

He did say desert riding was his primary terrain. If its soft sand best performance mod I would do is get a 500cc 2 stroke! If its baha like terrain...well the XR650 is still and has been for years king! Rememer, the 426 is primarly designed for motorcross.

I have never been riding and thought to myself "If I only had more power..." I have wanted broader/smoother power but never MORE. I have however wished many, many times for more traction or better suspension...two things that more power would only make worse.

I have never been riding and thought to myself "If I only had more power..." I have wanted broader/smoother power but never MORE. I have however wished many, many times for more traction or better suspension...two things that more power would only make worse.

Well said. :lol:

I've wanted more Power only when play riding, and having a long straightaway where I wanted to just accelerate as quickly as possible. It would be fun to see my buddies face when I pulled away from him......he's on a 2003 Yz450f, and I'm on a 2004 Yz450f. Other than that, there's no way I can truly utilize the stock power on a MX track, to it's potential.

What do you want more power in? Do you want the bike to have a higher top end, or harder acceleration? It seems to me that since you are in the desert, you want a higher top end, which would be gearing, not power. For me, I run a fairly modest 14/47 in the desert, but many people go to a 45 or 46 rear sporcket.

Power vs. speed, do you understand the difference? Anybody can hall ass down a dirt road. If you are bored with the 426, challange yourself to some difficult single track. You will find the 426 has more power than you can use there. Not speed, but raw power to git up them hills. Make sure you are riding with others so when the power gets away from you and you bust your ass, there will be help near by.

Power vs. speed, do you understand the difference? Anybody can hall ass down a dirt road. If you are bored with the 426, challange yourself to some difficult single track. You will find the 426 has more power than you can use there. Not speed, but raw power to git up them hills. Make sure you are riding with others so when the power gets away from you and you bust your ass, there will be help near by.

I learned this on a recent dune trip... The bike has an insane amount of power, it crazy yet fun.

Ok after reading other's thoughts I need to restate my original statement. I am looking for more speed, not power. I ride with friends who have new crf450x's and I don't have the money for one, so I want to make my bike faster.

Ok after reading other's thoughts I need to restate my original statement. I am looking for more speed, not power. I ride with friends who have new crf450x's and I don't have the money for one, so I want to make my bike faster.

If you're looking for more TOP speed get the biggest front sprocket you can find & the smallest rear. oh yea, & pucker-up...:lol:

Yeah, go with like a 15/46 sprocket setup. Youll almost lose the ability to wheelie, but the acceleration is still nice and itll hit somewhere around 85-90 I think.