reusable oil filters?

I never looked twice at the reusable oil filters but I have a gift certificate for Rocky Mtn MC and was thinking of getting one. For $40 I'd probably never have considered it but the concept sounds kind of cool.

Anybody big fans of these?

I bought the Comp-Flow stainless filter made by Ready racing. It says it filters better than standard filters, but who knows. All I know is it costs me $5 per paper filter in my town, so it will only take 8 oil changes to pay for itself.

This topic has been discussed and some people love them and others say they are bad because theres no way to tell if they are clean.

From my research there are two superior brands and they are Scotts and Comp-Flow. They both claim their filters filter down to 35 microns. Comp-Flow is the cheaper of the two.

My opinion is their great because they last forever.:lol::confused:

I bought two of them two years ago for $34 each + shipping I used them twice and they still sit in the shop waiting to be cleaned.

I bought two of them two years ago for $34 each + shipping I used them twice and they still sit in the shop waiting to be cleaned.

send them to me and i will clean and use them! It will make the oil changes that much quicker!!!

I bought 2 CRT re-useable oil filters from Rocky Mtn last year. One for the 450 and 1 for the 650. They are great. Not sure what how many microns they filter down to but I change the oil on both bikes frequently. No problems so far.

I guess if you like spending more cash than you need to everytime you change the oil, use the paper ones. There's no risk of a tear or break down with steel. It doesn't take but a minute to clean it, if that. Rinse it with a cleaner, blow it out with compressed air (inside to out) and let it dry off while you change out the oil! That's it. Maybe you can keep a paper one as back up in case you have to make a field oil change somewhere and you have nothing to clean with. I like steel IMHO.

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately I don't ride enough so I don't do quite that many changes. Still sounds like a good idea however.