HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Derwud

first ride on '07

37 posts in this topic

All I can say is Wow.... Coming off a 99 YZ400F, this bike is sweet.. It's got a liitle more power than the YZ had, but is so much more usable that it feels a lot better. The suspension needs a little adjustment, but I'll get it. But, the part for me, no more struggeling to get the bike turned. And the brakes, WOW..

One problem, the starter hangs up. I think it my have a problem with the exhaust cam auto decompress. I tried the kick starter and it wouldn't move either. Time to call the dealer..

IMGP3865A.jpg

derwud2 when you are dealing with a high compression engine and a very small starter it sometimes does not have enough power to turn over the engine after it shuts off and the engine stops at or close to top-dead-center. Even the kick starter is hard in that position. It has always been this way.

All I can say is Wow.... Coming off a 99 YZ400F, this bike is sweet.. It's got a liitle more power than the YZ had, but is so much more usable that it feels a lot better. The suspension needs a little adjustment, but I'll get it. But, the part for me, no more struggeling to get the bike turned. And the brakes, WOW..

One problem, the starter hangs up. I think it my have a problem with the exhaust cam auto decompress. I tried the kick starter and it wouldn't move either. Time to call the dealer..

IMGP3865A.jpg

First ride for me too. I stayed up all of Christmas night getting the bike prepped for our 4 day camping trip to Charlie's Place/Wagon Wheel. Did the following:

1. Removed the snorkel from the air box

2. Removed the entire baffle from the muffler, left only the spark arrester inside. I'll bet the bike will still measure under 96 dB - it's really not loud. Frankly I don't think there is any need for an aftermarket muffler after these mods as the bike is still pretty quiet and flows well. Save that $300+ for other goodies.

3. Rejetted - used Indy's guide for the most part: JD Red 5th notch, 45 Pilot (stock), 168 Main for the break-in period - will try the 165 at some point (stock Main was 162 S - not sure what the "S" stands for), stock Leak and Starter jets, and Zip-Ty fuel screw out 1.5 turns.

4. Pulled the Grey wire

5. Installed a 6.0 kg/mm spring (I'm 230+ lbs) on the rear shock from my '99 WR400. Stock on the '07 is 5.3 kg/mm.

The bike FLAT OUT RIPS!!!

I'm coming off a '99 WR400 and the difference is like night and day. I was babbling like an idiot after the first ride - I was just blown away by the handling and power differences. What ever ergonomic adjustments Yamaha has made with respect to the bar-peg-seat position works as it's almost a flowing motion going from sitting to standing. The wide pegs help a lot as they really provide a solid base for this. I made some clicker adjustments to the front and back and the bike just ate up the whoops without beating me up. Again, I'm sure the bar-peg-seat relationship has a lot to do with this as I found myself in an almost neutral position over the whoops without any excessive arm strain. The fact that the front end stays up effortlessly also helps. It handled rocky hill climbs without ever stepping out on me. My WR400 suspension was done by George at ESP and the stock 07 suspension blows it away. IMHO, apart from springs for us big boys, there is no need for suspension work on this bike.

While I was away, my Scotts Shark Fin arrived and I have the AIS removal kit and skid plate under order. I didn't notice any popping from the bike even with the AIS in place. Apart from taking up place under the tank and around the carb, I don't believe it effects performance in any way. However, space is so tight around the carb, it would be worth getting rid of the extra plumbing just to make it easier to work on the carb.

Next up will be a stabilizer and some plastic frame protection as I've already polished the main frame from my boots rubbing on it.

Great bike guys, it's really everything it was hyped up to be.

Good for you guys! Nothing like a new bike....

So you got 3 WR's now SXP?

BTW... The 'S' stamped onto the main indicates that's the standard size jet stock. I had the exact same question when I got my 250 earlier this year.

I had the same problem with the kicker and the magic button i found if you slightly rock the bike it comes to its like the clutch is still holding the engine it could be because it's still a bit new. Still having problems with the suspension though cant seem to get rid of the hard feeling even with all the adjusters set to soft.

I had the same problem with the kicker and the magic button i found if you slightly rock the bike it comes to its like the clutch is still holding the engine it could be because it's still a bit new. Still having problems with the suspension though cant seem to get rid of the hard feeling even with all the adjusters set to soft.

How much do you weigh? I thought the stock settings were kinda mushy and fiddled with the clickers to get it to my liking. Are you a "sitter" or do you stand up more?

Good for you guys! Nothing like a new bike....

So you got 3 WR's now SXP?

BTW... The 'S' stamped onto the main indicates that's the standard size jet stock. I had the exact same question when I got my 250 earlier this year.

Hey Brandon - Happy Holidays (what's left) to you. Yeah, I've got three now, but one plated 400 will be sold soon. Hanging on to the other unless I can somehow get the 07 plated. Congrats on the 250:thumbsup:

Thanks for the clarification on the "S".

when your starters dont get it movin does it reset your clocks,

i hate it when that happens

Huh? :lol:

so thats why the clock resets ,to much draw on the battery. my bike is getting even better with more time on the motor, seems to be loosing up and it really starting to RIP on the mid to top end. im in love again.:lol:

I had my first ride last week 106 miles great ride great bike some small issues that are all personal settings. The bike rips I cant wait to get an exhaust so I can hear it rip as well. All mods done to mine grey wire, ais removed, throttle stop, open air box and jd jet kit.

The bike rips I cant wait to get an exhaust so I can hear it rip as well.

Just remove the insert from the exhaust (the entire thing), it's just a couple of bolts, and only leave the spark arrester inside. The exhaust flows well and is not obnoxiously loud - I'd wager it will still come in under 96 dB. If you think it ripped with the stock exhaust wait till you open up the exhaust!!

Put 70 miles on the new ESP suspension, total of about 190. OH MAN this bike is now PERFECT!!!

Took out the larger baffle, removed the throttle stop, cut the grey wire but left the AIS in place. It pulled an '07 KTM 450 XC from 1st to 5th. I had an issue with idle before I cut the grey wire but it seems fine now. I am completly satisfied with this bike now. Cant wait for the first H&H National this month.

Put 70 miles on the new ESP suspension, total of about 190. OH MAN this bike is now PERFECT!!!

Took out the larger baffle, removed the throttle stop, cut the grey wire but left the AIS in place. It pulled an '07 KTM 450 XC from 1st to 5th. I had an issue with idle before I cut the grey wire but it seems fine now. I am completly satisfied with this bike now. Cant wait for the first H&H National this month.

So George was able to set-up your 07? Sweet, I might have to take me forks and shocks to him....

So George was able to set-up your 07? Sweet, I might have to take me forks and shocks to him....

Do you really think it is necessary? Try adjusting the clickers first. My WR400 set up by George does not compare to the stock 07 suspension (with a 6.0 spring in the back).

Did the 07's get the SSS forks?

No, I think they are saving that for next year.

Do you really think it is necessary? Try adjusting the clickers first. My WR400 set up by George does not compare to the stock 07 suspension (with a 6.0 spring in the back).

Based on my funds... I will be doing all kinds of adjustments first....

I tried several different settings on the front and just couldnt get rid of the harshness of the small stuff without sacrificing to much rebound. Its night and day.