Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big_boreYZ

flywheel puller

9 posts in this topic

Fith gear went out on my 01 426 and in the process of separating the case halves i ran into the flywheel, i was wondering what techniques you guys use if you don't hace the proper tools. I have a three jaw puller on it now and i am afraid to put any more pressure on it for fear of damaging it. thanx for your replies

Don't use the 3 jaw puller!! You won't like the result. Buy the correct puller $10-$25. Plus it will also work on 90% of the off road bikes and "TOADS" (4-wheelers). money well spent.:lol:

Most of the flywheel pullers I have sean are nothing more than fancy bolts. Just measue the hole and check the thread pitch and by a bolt at the hardware store for a $1.50. Also check your bike I have come across this a couple of times on a honda and once on a suzuki that the rear axel is the right size and pitch, its worth a look.:lol:

Most of the flywheel pullers I have sean are nothing more than fancy bolts. Just measue the hole and check the thread pitch and by a bolt at the hardware store for a $1.50. Also check your bike I have come across this a couple of times on a honda and once on a suzuki that the rear axel is the right size and pitch, its worth a look.:lol:

I never had too much luck finding bolts that had that thread diameter with that fine of a pitch... I can't remember exactly but aren't they in the M18 to M24 range and probably have a thread pitch of 1.00... won't be finding any bolts like that very easily.

J

You risk breaking the flywheel by using a jaw puller... just get the real puller.

Josh

Don't use the 3 jaw puller!! You won't like the result. Buy the correct puller $10-$25. Plus it will also work on 90% of the off road bikes and "TOADS" (4-wheelers). money well spent.:confused:
Good advice. But don't pay more than $20, tops. If the Yamaha store doesn't have one, the Honda , Kawasaki , Suzuki , or independent parts house will. If they were any more universal, grocery stores would stock them. They're inexpensive and available, and nothing works better.
No offense, but you are clearly unfamiliar with the flywheels used in YZ's. The thread is on the order of 25mm, is very fine, and on top of that, it's left handed. Good luck with finding a bolt to fit that. It was also intended to hold the puller only, not to bear the cranking friction of the pressure screw.