gps externa; power on xr650r

I want to mount a Garmin GPSMAP 276c on my brp

I fitted a bridge rectifier on and get anywhere from 9 to 20 volts outpot depending on whether the lights are on or off - I suspect the power is far from clean.

The only thread I could find suggested a product form TourTech but said it was of limited output (150ma) and would not power a colour unit.

Any suggestions?

Happy New Year!

I do a fair amount of work with Garmin and many of thier car adaptors are pretty tolerant with respect to voltage input. They've also got really good customer support- mebbe write them and let them know what you're trying to do, ask 'em for some input.

$0.02,

Robert

Metisse that is the same GPS as i'm planning on using so let us know won't ya.

I'm a few months away from buying one (Xmas $$$) but that's the one for me.

Thanks Porterdog, for your common sense! - have emailed Garmin and touratech - will post if they have any answers - still hoping someone has a simple little circuit for a power cleaning and regulating device that I could build or buy

You need the external power cord, and a pin call-out to know which wires go where...Are you sure the DC output is clean enought to run the GPS unit?

Loufish - I have the power cord, and know the pin outs, and am sure the output is not clean - that is why I would like to hear of someone's success.

found a circuit at www.awrr.com/powersup.html - absent any other advice, and when I get the correct voltage and amp draw from Garmin , I will try it - problem is the bike is in a trailer, on its way to Cabo for a ride up to San Diego - so there can be no testing - its all or nothing!

Between Baja Designs , Cycoactive, and Touratech you should find the answers and gizmos needed to make it work.

A simple solution is just to mount a small sealed 12v battery behind the number plate. Replace the factory regulator (under the seat) with a regulator-rectifier and branch leads off the headlight feed to charge the battery. Then take leads off the battery to the gps.

The battery ang reg-rect will smooth the voltage out real nice. One source for the battery is www.procycle.us (not ".com"). Their part no. UB1213 is a good (small) size and is only $30. They also sell the regulator-rectifier cheap but I cannot remember the part number.

I use this setup on my DS'd R, works great and is a cheap, non-techno source for clean 12v power.

The upside of using a Garmin is they are pretty tolerant of voltage (as long as it is not too spikey). Something like 7v to 19v, at least that's the spec for my Garmin GPS-V. The battery will take care of the spikes.

Ride safe.

here's my 276C on XR628 using EE bar mounts on a BRP submount.

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

Rm - thanks for the picture - I am only using a Ram mount - hope it is good enough - it certainly worked OK on my Magellan, which was a bit lighter.

Internal - just what I needed! someone who has bin there dun dat.

While I still hope to run the unit with no battery involved, I ordered the battery and reg/rectifier from procycle today - I will make up a harness so I can duct tape the battery somewhere for the ride - will even take enough wire to run back to my back rack (kytech.com) if needed.

Thanks all.

Hey Internal and porterdog - back from a great ride in Baja - the procycle battery and regulator with yards of duct tape did the trick - the 276 worked fine and the battery stayed charged - when I get the brp back in a couple of weeks I will try to tidy up the installation - and now I know what works, continue to try and eliminate the battery

Thanks for your input guys

cool - thanks for the followup! So basically you're mostly AC with just a little DC? Very interesting....

Glad things worked out for you Metisse. Sounds like a fun ride.

It is currently 6 degrees F outside and its been like that for 3 weeks now. I am so freaking hurting to go ride I actually polished my helmet this weekend just to be able to touch something associated with riding.

Ride safe.

Maybe a simple solution is to get a 12 volt regulator from radio shack. simple to build or just wire in directly inline. gives good regulation and is good for up to 1 1/2 amps of current. Accepts a wide range of input voltage and does a decent job of keeping a constant voltage. problaly around 4 or 5 dollars. Mount it on a small printer circuit board in a small box both available at radio shack.