Chain feedback required

Hey guys, I'm doing some repairs to the old stead and need to get another chain. I'm currently running the Renthal R-3 o-ring and have gotten some great wear time out of it. However, I'm thinking now I might try other options like the Regina Z-ring or the DID X-ring as a possible better alternative. Just wondering if anyone here who has run either of these chains has any feedback on how well they hold up to the torque of a four stroke.

I've used DID and Regina chains, and IMO they are good chains, but pricey.

I now use Primary Drive chain and sprockets from Rocky Mountain. The PD last every bit as long as the other brands and cost half as much. I'm sold on them. ?

The Primary Drive chains are too bulky to be used on an '06-7 YZ450 without it hitting the inside of the frame excessively. They are also at least 20% heavier than a Regina without being any stronger.

I don't see a chain that gives me two years of service for $65 as too pricey.

So, has anybody tried the z-ring?

For that matter, is there much in it going from a regular o-ring like I'm used to, to a more expensive X or Z ringed chain?

For the cost of the R-3 I'm running now I could buy an X or Z ringed chain from DID or Regina, or I could save a couple bucks and just go get a regular O-ring for cheaper from DID or Regina.

Hmmmmm, decisions, decisions. I like the idea of upgrading to an X or Z, but not if they aren't accomplishing anything other than sounding exotic. Gonna buy my chain tomorrow so gotta make a decision.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, for those looking to get new sprockets, dirtbikediscount.com has rear Ironman sprockets for $73 on sale right now in the featured items section. That was the best deal I could find anyway.

The Primary Drive chains are too bulky to be used on an '06-7 YZ450 without it hitting the inside of the frame excessively. They are also at least 20% heavier than a Regina without being any stronger.

Then its a good thing that I ride a 426. The chain fits well and I'm not concerned about any extra weight (the bike and myself are both overweight).

$65 for a Regina is still too much when I can buy a O-ring chain and both sprockets for $57. ?

Regina chains might be the best, but for those of us on a tight budget, the Primary Drive stuff works just fine. :confused:

Nothing like some hard data. I took my digital calipers to the below chains. I selected a random link on each chain and measured it at it's widest spot - across the rivet. Note: the master link pins are probably the widest point on the chain and I did not measure it.

1. New in package Primary Drive X-Ring chain - 20.98 mm

2. DID O-Ring chain on my '99 WR400 - 20.21 mm

3. OEM O-Ring chain (has a riveted "master link") on my '07 WR450 - 20.10 mm

BTW, after reading Gray's post above I checked the inside of the main frame on the '07 and the aluminium is already scuffed (170 miles) from the chain rubbing on it. Looks like I'm going to have to stay on top of chain adjustments. Also, the inside of the frame has an open honeycomb structure just waiting to get packed with mud and such:thumbsdn:

Nothing like some hard data. ....

1. New in package Primary Drive X-Ring chain - 20.98 mm

2. DID O-Ring chain on my '99 WR400 - 20.21 mm

3. OEM O-Ring chain (has a riveted "master link") on my '07 WR450 - 20.10 mm

For comparison, the pin length of a Regina ORN6 (O-ring) is listed at 20.4, although at this moment, I can't provide an actual measurement.